Chapter 12

"Let's go inside," Lily nods her head towards the door. She stands up, pulling Carina along with her by the hand. "I think we need to talk."

--

Carina closes the door once she and Lily both make their way inside their dorm. She watches Lily crawl on top of her bed before wrapping the blanket snugly around her shoulders. God , she's so cute the way she always does that. Then Lily looks up at her and their eyes meet.

"What are you standing over there for?" she questions with a small smile.

Carina didn't realize she was still standing near the door, which is as far away as she could be from Lily. In the back of her mind, she's still kind of worried that she would be overstepping some boundaries considering there is definitely something going on with Lily at the moment just based on her evasive behavior today and last night.

Carina proceeds to scuff on over towards Lily's bed before she notices her roommate's teeth slightly chattering. Frowning, Carina makes a quick stop over at her side of the room and digs around in her closet for a moment before removing one of her hoodies from the hanger. Then, she turns back around and cautiously sits down a couple of feet away from Lily. The gap between them is unnatural and slightly uncomfortable. Carina's not used to this at all.

But she silently holds up the hoodie and offers it to Lily, who looks at it for a moment, then looks back up at her. After deliberating for a couple of seconds, Lily drops the blanket from her shoulders only to accept Carina's hoodie. That sweatshirt has never looked quite as good on her as it does Lily.

"Thank you," Lily smiles shyly in appreciation.

Things get a bit awkward after that. Carina's looking everywhere except Lily's face and Lily keeps fumbling around with the fabric of the sleeves and neither of them are saying a thing. There's a lot that Carina wants to say and there's a lot that she wants to ask her about, but she can't bring herself to be the first one to make the move.

Luckily, she doesn't have to.

"If you ever get locked out again," Lily begins, "please message me. Okay?" Carina just nods her head silently. "And knowing you, you will get locked out."

Carina lets out a small giggle. That lightens the mood and eases the tension a bit. She smiles at Lily when she says, "the floor was actually quite comfortable. It wouldn't have bothered me if I wound up sleeping out there all night."

"I will keep that in mind the next time I see you snoozing away in the middle of the hallway," Lily chuckles. "I'll just let sleeping Carinas lie."

Carina looks at her smiling face adoringly. It feels like forever since she saw that smile and heard that laugh and that voice when in reality, it's only been about two days. But after being surrounded by it all the time to suddenly having Lily get ripped away from her, it was miserable. She's routine. It threw Carina off balance.

"You know, I really missed y-" Carina begins before her loud and obnoxious ringtone cuts her off. She lets out an exasperated sigh before reaching into her back pocket and taking her phone out. She furrows her eyebrows in confusion when she sees the caller ID. "Daniel," she mumbles under her breath.

From the corner of her eye, she sees Lily's jaw clench tightly and her eyes are rolling so hard in obvious irritation. Then it all clicks in Carina's head and she starts to put two and two together.

Things between Carina and Lily started getting weird and distant ever since her date with Daniel and she bolted away when he came up to her and disrupted their conversation earlier when they were outside. She's not his biggest fan.