Chapter 49

"Are you sure you're okay?" Carina asks worriedly as they make their trek up the hill of a mountain, which leads to a cliff that overlooks the entire city. It's nothing dangerous, considering it's a popular tourist attraction and there are rails to help prevent any accidents, but Lily's fear of heights still exists. It's not anything too extreme like a phobia; it just gets her nerves shaken up a little bit.

After their... very passionate moment together earlier this afternoon, they lay there in each other's arms as they partook in pillow talk, just like they always do. Things were never awkward or shy for them after sex. They laugh, joke, and make fun of each other in good nature relentlessly. It never failed to bring them closer than before, and it reminds them of how much they love each other.

Then, after getting room service and cuddling and kissing some more, Lily unexpectedly brought up the idea of going for a hike. Carina was uncertain about it at first, but she seemed determined and brave.

But here they are with Lily's death grip on Carina's hand.

"I-I'm okay," Lily stutters, sounding anything but confident. Her gaze then follows a couple of kids who are running up and down and squealing happily. She scoffs in disbelief. "Well, damn. If they can go it, then so can I."

Carina chuckles and leans in to kiss her on the side of her head affectionately. "Of course you can, babe. We're almost to the top, but tell me if you want to head back down at anytime, okay?"

Lily sticks her chin up boldly. "I can do it. Come on."

Carina finds her determination valiant, even though she can tell by the pale look on her face that Lily was trying more so to convince herself. Carina makes sure to give her hand a gentle squeeze of reassurance, reminding her that she's right there.

Lily trudges slightly ahead with Carina trailing behind with her hands just barely holding onto Lily's hips. She knew it would remind her that she was there to nudge her along if she needed that little extra push. Literally.

The higher up the hill they get, the more tentative Lily's steps got, and the heavier and more resistance her feet were. At one point, it felt like if it weren't for Carina holding onto her, she would have lost her balance and fell backward.

"You good?" Carina asks her when Lily stops dead in her tracks. The viewing point is so close. She can literally see it from where they stand.

"Give me one second," Lily exhales nervously, shaking out her hands. "Sorry."

The younger girl frowns slightly. "No, don't apologize for being a little scared."

Lily takes a couple of seconds to breathe in and out in even intervals, trying to activate her parasympathetic nervous system to calm herself down. Carina just stands there patiently, watching her as other hikers walk around them casually.

"Okay," Lily eventually exhales. "I'm good."

And so she reaches down to take hold of Carina's hand, and together, they slowly yet successfully made it up to the designated area, having a clear view of everything beneath them and the city off in the distance. The horizon stretches out for what appears to be hundreds of miles, and the sun is just now beginning to set, giving them an amazing sight to see at just the right moment.

And now Lily is completely breathless for an entirely different reason as she gazes out with bright, awestruck eyes.

"Okay, this is so worth almost pissing my pants for," she breathes out in wonderment.

Carina chuckles as she stands behind Lily and wraps her arms around her waist tightly, resting the side of her face against the spot between Lily's shoulder blades. She can feel every single breath that her girlfriend takes, and there is nothing more comforting or reassuring than feeling and hearing her... exist. The sounds and indications of a living human being are soothing in ways that she can't describe. Heartbeats, breathing, the warm skin - simply knowing that Lily is alive at the same time that Carina is is an incredible feeling.