Chapter 22

"Carina, for the billionth time, I don't believe that dogs think in barks," Lily explains, using hand gestures for emphasis. "I don't really think 'barking' is necessarily a language amongst canines. I'm pretty sure they just think in symbols and images, just like deaf people and babies do, you know?"

Carina shakes her head stubbornly. "Nope. I firmly stand by my belief that dogs think in barks."

Lily narrows her eyes at the girl sitting in front of her. "Listen to me, you little hardheaded piece of-"

She gets cut off when her phone placed on top of the blanket begins to ring and Desi's name appears across the top. Well, technically it's "Desi is the bestest friend ever". She sneakily stole Lily's phone one day and changed her contact name. Lily has yet to fix it considering it's not that far off from the truth, but she can't ever give Desi that kind of satisfaction.

Carina giggles as she catches sight of the name and Lily answers the phone, putting her on speaker.

"Hey, Desi," Lily greets happily. "You're on speaker and Carina is right beside me."

"Great! Naomi and I were wondering if we could come over there in a bit? We want to tell you guys something."

Lily and Carina exchange a confused look, but Lily drops it. "Yeah, sure! We're just chilling in the room."

"I'm going to call Amanda and ask her to meet us there as well. Okay?" There's laughing going on in the background and Lily can easily tell that it's Naomi.

"Okay, sounds good. We'll be here."

"Okee-doke. Naomi, Amanda, and I will see you in like half an hour or so."

Lily ends the call and drops the phone back in her lap, bringing her eyes up to Carina. "Hm. I wonder what that's all about."

Carina shrugs before lying down to rest the side of her head on Lily's lap, placing a hand on top of her thigh. Lily smiles down at her, combing through her hair with her fingers. They remain in their positions for a few silent and comfortable moments before Carina chuckles to herself. "I bet you five bucks that they're coming to tell us that they're finally official."

Lily furrows her eyebrows in thought. There is a good possibility that that would be the case since they have been spending more and more time with each other and they already act like one anyways. Why wouldn't they make it official? What's stopping them from doing so?

But then again, they could want to talk about anything. And Lily loves proving Carina wrong. "Hm. You're on, kid."

Carina sits herself up and holds her hand out. Lily rolls her eyes before she gives it a firm shake. There's a smug and confident smirk on Carina's face. Like she has this in the bag.

Lily reaches over towards her pillow where her stuffed Koala bear is resting and she brings it to her chest, hugging it tightly. "Thanks for winning me Frederick, by the way," she beams.

Carina scoffs and runs her hand down Frederick's back. As if it were a dog. "Frederick? Really?"

Lily pouts her lip childishly. "He looks like one."

The younger girl looks at her amusingly for a moment before shaking her head fondly and leaning in to kiss her in the spot between her eyebrows. "You're welcome. And I'm glad you like him considering the fact that I spent like 20 bucks to buy his 2 dollar self."

Lily laughs, holding Frederick up to Carina's face and making him "peck" her cheek. "He's still my second favorite Koala right behind you."

The next thing she knows, Frederick is torn out of her hands and he goes flying backwards, but before Lily can even protest or say anything, she feels Carina's fingers tickling her sides and stomach while simultaneously planting kisses all over her face.