Chapter 33

"It's so fucking cold," Lily mutters under her breath as she pulls the jacket around her body tighter. "How are you not absolutely freezing right now?"

Carina looks at the people they pass by and sees that they're all wearing their cozy, autumn attire. She, on the other hand, is dressed in jeans and a simple t-shirt. Shrugging casually, she says, "It usually doesn't hit me until the ground is covered with a three feet of snow."

The two girls meander their way through their peers towards their designated classes. This morning, Lily's class is on the way to Carina's, so why not walk together?

Things are easier. She doesn't mind being seen with Lily in public anymore. Maybe she still has slight hesitations about fully coming out and saying that they're dating, but she's come such a long way since the beginning. She refuses to let Alexus get in the way again, or anyone for that matter. Carina is still trudging along and every day it's less difficult, especially since she knows that Lily is right there by her side.

The locket and key of her necklace that Lily so graciously got for her jingle slightly with every step that she takes and she smiles down at it every once in a while. She loves knowing that she always has a little piece of Lily with her now, even if it's just in a form of a picture.

They both reach Lily's room first and she turns around to face Carina before heading inside. There's a gentle, content smile on her face.

"I'll see you later this evening, okay? I'm going to go be a third-wheel and hang out with Desi and Naomi after my classes since I haven't really spent time with them in a while."

Carina claps her hands excitedly. "Thank God . That finally gives me some time to be by myself for once," she teases, sticking her tongue out between her teeth playfully.

Lily slaps her upper arm rather painfully with her jaw dropped in offense. "So damn rude," she gasps. "Jesus, if my presence is really that much of a nuisance to you then I can arrange so that you'll have all of your time to yourself."

Carina just laughs lightheartedly. "I'm kidding, I'm kidding. But have fun with Desi and Naomi later and try not to blow something up, break something, or get the police called on you guys, alright?"

"Okay, mom ."

The younger girl makes a face. "Ew. You should not call me 'Mom' for various and obvious reasons." To top it all off, Carina winks suggestively.

A warm blush crawls up Lily's cheeks, making Carina giggle quietly. It's always adorable seeing a flustered and embarrassed Lily. "Oh, jeez, I-uh suddenly have to go now. Bye, Cara." She waves cutely before scurrying off into her room. She even trips slightly on her way up the stairs.

Carina shakes her head to herself fondly before smiling to herself and sauntering off to her own class. How lucky is she to call that dork her girlfriend?

She's surprised when she feels an arm get placed her shoulders and she turns her head to see Daniel's grinning face.

"Hey," Carina greets cheerily. "What's got you all smiley?"

She gives him a knowing smirk. There's only one person capable of making him this happy.

"No reason," he chuckles. "Am I not allowed to be in a good mood?"

Carina internally rolls her eyes. For some reason, he doesn't want to tell her about his first kiss with Amanda last night, but that's okay. She still knows anyways.

"Whatever you say," she smiles with a shake of the head.

They walk down the sidewalk, talking and laughing and enjoying each other's company, just like they always do. But Carina couldn't help but notice that there were some lingering eyes on the two of them, and it wasn't the kind of staring that she would sometimes get when she was out with Daniel. They kind of appeared to be rather... off.