Chapter 23: No Man's Land

Mia felt her blood boil, and she felt herself start to spiral internally, but she kept it contained in front of everyone else.

"Hello Doctor." the Senator said, holding his hand out for her to shake. Being the professional person she is, Mia have him a steady handshake as he looked straight into her eyes. The board members urged her to sit down.

"Thank you for joining us Dr. Singh." One of the board members said as she sat down. "Though I believe you didn't quite have a choice."

"You were lucky to catch me in the calm period before the shift ends." Mia said. At this point, she was no stranger to meetings with the board. Although she was only a resident, she saw them constantly because of her position as the hospital's correspondent with the White House and basically being the hospital's poster child.

"That we were." Another board member said. "You remember Senator Farrugia, don't you?" he asked, as Mia looked at Farrugia, who gave her the same look the first time they met. It was something that she couldn't decipher back then, it being a look of power backed by cunningness and deception.

"That I do." she said, taking every bit of might she had in her body not the reach across the table and punch that smug look off his face.

"I remember you as well Dr. Singh." Farrugia said. "I wanted to apologize about the incident that occurred the last time I was here, I wanted to speak with you but I never really guess able to return." he said.

'Apologize for what, being a little bitch who ran off to hide amongst sick children while innocent people were sacrificing themselves for him?' she thought, luckily never saying these thoughts out loud.

"I hear that congratulations are in order, both for your incoming wedding and for passing your boards." Farrugia continued, looking down at the necklace Mia was wearing, a beautiful Christmas gift from Ethan upon which she wore her engagement ring (and will eventually wear her wedding ring on) when she was working. Ethan had also gotten a matching necklace on which he would eventually wear his wedding band on once they got married.

"Thank you." Mia said, tucking the necklace under her shirt.

"I also heard that you are becoming an attending on New Year's Day, and that your birthday is the day before on New Year's Eve." he said.

"You heard correctly."

"That's quite special." Farrugia said as Mia plastered a fake smile on her face, thinking about 25 other things she would rather be doing than being stuck in a room with that man once again.

"Allow me to introduce myself." An unrecognizable man said, coming up from beside the senator as he extended his hand for shake hers. "My name is Fred Walters, and I'm Senator Farrugia's campaign manager." he said, as Mia shook his hand. "We were wondering if we could set up a televised interview between you and the senator, it won't be too formal, and will really only be a conversation between you too." he said.

"Is this because of the assassination attempt?" Mia asked. "Aren't there other people he should be speaking with, like Rafael Aveiro, or the families of the two men lost that day?" she asked, skeptically.

"Actually, the Senator's campaign feels it would be best to have this interview with you on the 31st. Not only would it be during a crucial turning point for you in your career as well as your birthday, but it is also a time in the year where the campaign feels it is best for them to make a stance on the incident that occurred." One of the board members said. "This would be a great thing for both your career and for the hospital, it would be addressing one of the biggest safety concerns that many people have regarding us." By the way that the board members were speaking about it's importance, she knew that she had no way out of it.