Chapter 48: Shots Fired

Cancer, accidents, terminal illness.

When we hear of someone suffering with something like this, we feel a sense of pity. As a normal response of being human, behind our sense of empathy, the last thing that we want to think about is that happening to us.

But it very well can.

We believe we have control over ourselves and our body, but when tragedy strikes, it strikes when we least expect it.

When such tragedy strikes, when we have lost all control over our bodies and have to put our trust in our doctors, the most daunting thing to happen, is when you have to choose between the money in your pocket, or saving your life.

Welcome to America, the only first-world country where people end up going bankrupt, simply to save their lives.

"So?" Mia asked, looking eagerly towards her husband, waiting impatiently for some sort of response from him. Ethan was sitting at the stool beside the kitchen counter, wearing his glasses as he read the writing on Mia's laptop, which she thrust into his view and forced him to read. She boiled water for ginger tea before work, but chose to anxiously stare down Ethan for a response rather than pay attention to her task at hand.

"Your water is overflowing." Ethan said matter-of-factly, making Mia quickly turn around and rush to fix her blunder.

"Fuck!" She yelled as she frantically lowered the flame of the stove.

"Maybe you should've paid attention to your tea-making." Ethan said teasingly.

"Maybe you should shut your annoying self." Mia said angrily, distributing the boiling water into two cups.

"Then how will I be able to tell you my thoughts?" Ethan asked, making Mia groan.

"Ethan, this is important, I'm writing the opening Prologue and it's the first thing that the readers read before we go into the actual book and our backgrounds against the cruelties of the insurance and pharmaceutical companies." She said. "Now, honestly, tell me what you think. Please."

"Honestly?" He asked, and Mia nodded.

"Please?" She asked. "Your opinion means a lot to me, not only as my husband but also as my superior and mentor."

"You want me to tell the truth?" He asked once again teasingly.

"Ethan." She said sternly. "Stop teasing your pregnant and unstable wife."

"It's wonderfully written." He said. "It entices the reader, appeals to the logos, pathos, and ethos of the audience. I personally really enjoy the ending part, it ends strongly and makes the reader want to read more."

"Really?" She asked excitedly. "And your not just saying that because I'm your pregnant and unstable wife?"

"You have a strong point of view and a strong stance, keep the same strong stance you have to show how much you care, and it'll do phenomenally." Ethan said, making Mia jump up and hug him tightly, a new adjustment with her now almost 5 month bump.

"Thank you E." She said, gratefulness evident within her tone. "Did I ever tell you how sexy you look in those glasses of yours?"

"Yes. Many times." Ethan said. "Don't stop."

"Won't be an issue, Dr. Ramsey." Mia said in a seductive tone, putting her arms around Ethan's neck as she attempted to kiss him, interrupted by her baby bump restricting her from getting closer to Ethan.

Ethan struggled to hold back a laugh, as Mia angrily stepped back.

"This isn't fair." She said. "I'm freaking huge and it ruins the mood." She sulked.