Chapter 41: Forgive Me For I Have Sinned

After the long day of work, Mia finally made her way back to her car. The car ride home from work usually had a sense of peace to it, regardless of who was driving, she and Ethan would take in the calmness in watching the scenery go by as they drove home. That peacefulness seemed gone at this moment. As she drove home, she was taking in deep breaths of air, shaking as she struggled to contain her emotions. As she pulled into their house driveway, she parked the car, pulling the key out of the ignition as she remained seated in the car.

She had to tell him. He was tired, and frustrated. He broke just that morning and said how exhausting she was, and yet, here she was with yet another problem. Mia placed her right hand over her stomach, taking in a final shaky deep breath before getting out of the car. Regardless of how he felt towards her, she simply couldn't not tell him.

After walking what seemed to be 100 steps, she finally made her way to the front door. Mia took one final deep breath, before unlocking the door and walking in. Upon walking in, she was met with a big surprise.

As per usual when he was at home, Jenner came running to her once she came in through the door, panting in excitement. She bent her knees to lean down and pet the dog as she looked around the living room. On the coffee table, which was in direct view of the front entrance, were an assortment of items. There was a bouquet of roses, Dove milk chocolates, even Hot Cheetos and French Onion Dip like they had talked about from his dream earlier that morning. A soft chuckle left her as she shook her head, looking at the rest. Fuzzy socks, a flower crown, a teddy bear, and a balloon with a tiara and the word "Princess" written across it. She heard footsteps, looking up to see Ethan walking out of the kitchen into the current room wearing his cooking apron. His eyes widened upon seeing her, quickly reaching behind him to unfasten the apron and take it off.

"Goddamn it, I was supposed to be finished cooking by the time you came home." he said, as she continued to look at him in confusion.

"Ethan?" she asked, looking at him for an answer about the gesture. Ethan simply looked at her nervously. The truth was, he had rehearsed what he was going to say at least 5 times, but it completely washed away now that she was in front of him, nothing but her pained look from that morning showing in his head.

"I messed up. You didn't deserve any of that. You already go through so much, just having to deal with me but you also have to grow two babies inside you while also balancing a full fledged career. Even if you weren't pregnant, you didn't deserve that." he said, starting to ramble at the situation. "I was tired and stupid and it's no excuse and not justifiable and frankly untrue. You helped and held me after that terrible dream, and all I did was yell at you and break your heart. You're no accident Mia, and neither are they."

"Ethan..."

"Yes, it's true that my past self five years ago would never imagine or even want a wife and kids. I thought that love was a complete façade, but I met you and you changed everything. You've made my life so much happier and brighter, and I never wanted to make it as dark as I made it today." Ethan said gesturing to the assorted gifts on the table. "And this was my shitty attempt at gifts, and I wanted to make you the Georgian Chicken you love. And I will completely listen to you and do everything you say and ask and I will carry you everywhere if you want because I'm so so sorry. You don't have to forgive me right now because you should hate me but I'm so sorry Mia."

Ethan simply looked at Mia, who looked up at him with a blank face. Her lip quivered slightly as it turned downward, her eyes becoming glassy.

"I'm sorry I'm such an idiot." she said, before finally breaking down. Ethan immediately sprung and rushed over to her, wrapping his arms tightly around her as he placed his head above hers. He held the back of her head against his chest with one hand, a part of him breaking along with her.