Chapter 10: Unraveled

The next day, the team flew back to Boston, and went back to work the next day. In the beginning of the day, Ethan and Mia drove to Edenbrook for work, and when they parked in the parking lot they saw a ton of press at the front door.

"Are you kidding me?" Ethan asked, as he parked the car.

"That many people here because of the deal with the President?" Mia asked, shocked at how many people were there.

"I guess so, and that means they won't let us past without grilling us with questions. We're going to have to push past since the board will probably want to brief us on things we can and can't say." Ethan said as Mia groaned, the two of them grabbing their things and going out of their car and towards the Edenbrook entrance. Ethan grabbed Mia's hand and intertwined their fingers.

"Are you sure about... that?" Mia asked, gesturing to their hands.

"As far as the hospital, we're good." Ethan said. "And as far as the press, I could care less. If the two from your stupid surgeon show could be together and the world loves them, then the press shouldn't mind the two of us. Of course if you don't think we should..." he started to say as Mia tightened her grip, giving him the answer he needed.

Dozens of reporters started buzzing their way, their questions all a big blur as they surrounded them.

"Sorry folks, we have to go save lives." Mia said as they pushed past and went inside, where the press legally couldn't reach.

"Thanks." Ethan said simply, as Mia knew that such situations weren't his favorite. Of course, as always one would take over what the other wasn't great at, like a well oiled machine.

"There you two are." Naveen said, as he looked down at their hands, still holding one another's, and smirked.

"Just say it." Ethan said as he took his free hand and rubbed his forehead.

Naveen mockingly held his hand at his chest with pride, saying "I'm proud of you son. Look at you and your public displays of affection. And here I thought it was just at the museum."

"Nope, just a normal regular thing" Ethan said, causing Naveen to wipe fake tears of happiness.

"They grow up so fast." Naveen said with a laugh, as Mia joined in.

"Naveen, what do we do about that?" Mia asked a couple minutes later, gesturing to the crowd at the entrance of the hospital.

"We've got a board meeting right before your shifts end. They're currently phasing Bloom out and they want to speak with us about what happened with the President and how we move on from here." Naveen said, as Ethan and Mia nodded.

"I've got rounds." Mia said as she looked at the time, quickly kissing Ethan and saying bye to the two older men before she rushed off.

Upon reaching the residents' locker room, Mia was met with all her friends, as well as the other residents' and the attendings who were overseeing the residents, Zaid and Ines.

"Singh, tell her that she should be home." Zaid said to Mia as the couple walked in.

"Welcome back Mia. How was it?" Ines said with a smile, trying to change the conversation and get the attention off of her."

"Nice try Ines. He's right though, you're 8 months pregnant and the hospital is giving you maternal leave, take it." Mia said.

"That's funny, coming from you, the person who breaks a sweat thinking about a break." Ines said. "When you're pregnant, we'll see how willing you'll be."