Chapter 35: Conventions and Connections

In the weeks following the day they found out they were having twins, Mia only progressively got worse, her morning sickness worsening and her lightheadedness becoming so bad that there were points where she nearly fainted. Despite all this, she continued to hide what was happening, until she and Ethan realized that maybe, their secret would come out.

"The MedCon convention is Saturday, so you all will leave the night after your shift on Thursday." Naveen said in the weekly meeting with the diagnostics team and the chief.

"So what amenities are they giving us?" Tobias asked with a smirk, as Mia hit him on his arm.

"They're actually being quite generous, sending you all a private jet to come in and let you leave in, and then they'll be providing you guys with a hotel room and a rental car." Naveen said.

"Nice." Tobias said, nodding his head.

"Too bad we're only going on the last day." Mia said.

"Yeah, but we have a patient to deal with before leaving, and at least we'll still be able to speak." Baz said, referring to the diagnostics panel that was given to the team to speak on. "And at least we'll be able to go to their thank you party for all the panelists that night."

"Yes!" Mia exclaimed, as Ethan sighed. She loved those kinds of formal events, under the pretense of dressing up, but he hated them. The meeting ended, and Tobias and Baz walked out, and Ethan and Mia stayed behind with Naveen.

"They're going to find out." Mia reluctantly said. "Up until now, I've had the chance to escape, but now, we're going to be stuck with them. For plane rides and a whole ass convention and in a hotel together." She was only 8 weeks pregnant, and she couldn't fathom telling anyone else yet, there was still tons that could go wrong.

"They're your team, they're bound to find out a little earlier than others." Naveen said.

A couple hours later, the team sat in their own meeting, discussing patients. Mia had been running around the whole day, trying to deal with some idiotic interns, a few patients who were coding, and being paged every which way. As always, Ethan took charge, assigning mini tasks to each person. To Mia's dismay, she started feeling a terrible rush of nausea. Usually, this would happen in moments where she could easily step away, unlike now. She looked up at Ethan and gave him a worried look, one which he realized what was happening.

"Baz, I am going to need you to analyze the lab results for the patient..." Ethan continued to say, going through with the meeting as he tried to talk a bit faster, as Mia took a couple deep breaths, trying to control the urge to puke her brains out. "Let's check immunization records, contact previous physicians..." he continued to say, as she shifted uncomfortably in her chair. "And make sure that we remember to-"

At this point, Mia couldn't hold it any longer, standing up so quickly that her chair knocked over as she rushed over to the diagnostics office personal bathroom. Baz and Tobias looked concerningly towards her as they saw her running towards the bathroom, then looked at Ethan as he took in a deep breath and avoided their stares, getting up himself and going after her. As always he rushed over behind her and held her hair back and soothingly rubbed her back and hummed in her ear.

"You need to take a break, Naveen told me how you've been running around all day." he said as she stood up and went over to the sink, her arms shaking at just how terrible she felt.

"They know, don't they?" she asked, referring to the two men waiting for them just outside.

"I didn't say anything, but the way they looked at me, they have their suspicions." he said.

"Well, they were bound to find out eventually, right?" she asked as she finished freshening up, the two of them going to the door and taking in a deep breath before opening it. Baz and Tobias were on the other side, out of their chairs and standing up as their arms were crossed, waiting anxiously for them to come out. Once they did, they rushed over to them.