Chapter 40: Whatever It Takes

"...Mom?"

Mia could feel the blood rushing to her face. She probably looked as red as a tomato, but yet her mind raced through a number of thoughts in just a matter of seconds. What was her mother doing in Boston? And she was here specifically to see her? Was her father with her? Mia then remembered that her charts had fallen down, and she bent down to pick them up, using it as a way to escape her mother's glare.

"You definitely look different than the last time I saw you." her mother said. "But you still have the same irresponsible clumsiness."

'Here we go...' Mia thought, recounting the many times she was yelled at throughout her childhood for her clumsy tendencies. There was so much she wanted to say, to ask. But being back in the presence of her mother seemed to silence the otherwise talkative woman.

"What are you doing here in Boston?" Mia brought herself to ask as she grabbed the chart and rose up.

"Your father and I needed to speak with you, and we know that you wouldn't listen until we came and confronted you." she said, handing Mia a little envelope. "Your father is sick, and in that is a note of the address where we are staying. We ask that you visit us as 5pm tomorrow, as we wish to discuss a number of things with you."

"Dad's sick?" Mia asked, as a part of her started to fill with fear. "Are you here to get treatment?"

"No, we are getting treatment back in California." Mia's mother said. "We will discuss further details tomorrow." Mia's mother then took one last look at Mia, and turned around and walked out.

"Mumma.." Mia said in a whisper, hints of an Indian accent coming out as she said the name she would call her mother as a child. Tears started to accumulate in her eyes as she watched her mother walk out. She wiped her eyes with the side of her hand, before turning around to return to the patients. It was then that she saw Zaid, standing behind her with wide eyes.

"Look, Zaid, I don't know how much you heard but I'm going to need you to be the bitchy resident you who hated our guts intern year and didn't give a shit about us."

Without saying anything, grabbed her wrist and started walking outside, as Mia looked up at him in confusion.

"Zaid, what are you doing? The patients..."

"I paged two other doctors to the clinic, we already handled a good number of patients so it will be fine, you're in no position to be doing work after what just happened." Zaid said, as he dragged her into an empty on-call room. He expected her to sit down, but she remained standing, lost in thought. "Mia..."

"There was so much I should've said..." Mia said, finally breaking her silence. "She shows up and suddenly I'm a lunatic who can't use her fucking mouth." she scoffed. Suddenly, Mia's eyes widened, looking at Zaid as she rolled her eyes and sighed. "This is not the time for this..." she said, as she starting walking out of the on-call room, as Zaid tried stopping her.

"What?"

"Just, I'm not going anywhere." she said, walking out as Zaid followed.

She rushed over to the women's bathroom, going in and throwing up while Zaid stood outside, confused but holding his suspicions as he knew what was happening. A couple moments later, Mia walked outside, seeing a shocked Zaid. This time, she grabbed his wrist and led them back into the on-call room they were previously in. She sat down on one of the beds, holding her head in one hand and the other resting atop her stomach.

"I'm going to be having two babies but yet I can't face my own mother." She scoffed.

"Two?" Zaid asked, his eyebrow perking up. She instantly cringed once more, she was so used to saying she was having two babies instead of a baby that she didn't even stop to think about whether or not she should've shared that particular piece of the puzzle.