Chapter 24: Corruption

Early in the morning, Mia's alarm rang, waking up both her and Ethan. She quickly turned it off, groaning as she turned over to Ethan, lying halfway on him.

"Do we have to get up, can't I just lay here with you all day?" she asked, her voice slightly muffled from her face being on his chest. Ethan slightly chuckled, leaning his head down to kiss the top of her head.

"Well, knowing you, you set that extremely early alarm to get ready mentally and physically and have a lot of time to do it, so I think it's my job to force you awake." he said, causing her to groan once more. She kissed his chest before getting up and walking to the bathroom, Ethan following closely behind.

"All I have to do is not mess this up. Easy. I'd probably just ramble forever and ever and fuck everything up."

"Woah woah woah, come here." he said, grabbing hold of her arm and gently pulling her in front of him, giving her a warm hug from behind and kissing her on the cheek before leaning down and keeping his chin on her shoulder. He looked at her in the mirror, smiling warmly as he said "Happy Birthday baby."

"Wow, you're feeling extra lovey when you call me baby." she said.

"Well, as I was going to say, you're smart. Quick on your feet. You could outsmart anyone, including me. You're going to shine there, and then I'll treat you to a pretty great birthday date after." he said.

"You better not have planned anything too crazy, with the wedding coming up next month..."

"You gave me possibly the best day I could ever imagine on my birthday, the least I could do is treat you to something amazing before I give you many, many more once you become my wife." he said with a smirk, as Mia rolled her eyes and made her way to the closet to grab her clothes for the day. "Of course, I couldn't fit as much as I wanted because we have to be at your friends' apartment in the evening, but you're going to be praising the amazing day you got to meet me." he said.

Mia walked out of the closet holding a garment bag, with a devilish grin on her face. She unzipped the bag, revealing a beautiful black suit.

"This, is today's power suit." she said, holding it up with a smile.

"What the hell is a 'power suit'?" he asked.

"When I saw this suit, it called me. Literally was screaming for me to buy it. It's gorgeous. Beautiful. Powerful." she said. "See, dresses are great for being gorgeous and sexy at parties, but for something like this, you need a suit. One that makes you seem like a badass bitch that will knock any pretentious politician down."

"See, before you, I would've laughed at the idiot who would say that." Ethan said.

"And now?"

"Now, I still do it." Ethan said as he broke into a laugh, resulting in Mia playfully smacking him on the arm. Mia went into the closet and changed, walking outside in the sharp black suit with a white buttoned shirt underneath, Ethan unable to take his eyes off of him. He pulled her close to him yet again, wrapping his arm around her back to hold her closer.

"As much as I love you in your power suit, I think I'd much rather see you in your birthday suit." he said with a smirk. Mia leaned up and stood on her toes, kissing him gently.

"Sadly for you, I have to get ready, and I simply can't schedule sex into my busy schedule right now." she said after pulling away from the kiss, giggling before turning away and curling her hair in the mirror. "Hey so, what are you going to do while I'm in the gates of hell?" Mia asked.

"Well, I know I technically have a day off, but since you did too before you got wrapped into all this, I thought I'd go with you to the hospital, give you some words before you charge in, and finish some paperwork while you're in." he said.