Chapter 26: First Day Jitters

Early New Year's Day morning, Ethan and Mia made their way to the hospital, Ethan was driving as she excitedly texted all her friends in the passenger seat.

"I don't know why you're so excited." Ethan said. "So what if you're becoming an attending?"

"Stop being such a Scrooge Ramsey." Mia said. "Aren't you even the slightest bit proud or happy that you watched me go from intern to resident to now here?"

"No." Ethan said with a smile, evidently lying. "But now, we have to go to that stupid attending 'graduation'."

"What graduation?"

"Edenbrook and its leaders get hopped up on idiocrasy around this time, at the end of today there'll be a grand convocation of the new attendings, Naveen and the other cretins that run this place are going to do some speeches, and parents and families are called. It's a glorified high school graduation, but instead of giving a diploma they make a big deal of giving you your dark blue scrubs."

"Oh." Mia said simply. "I didn't know about it, I guess the gang was hiding it from me because they thought I would get sad about it."

"Yeah." Ethan replied. He remembered when he became an attending. He had just fought with Tobias, making him move to Mass Kenmore. When it was his turn to get his dark blue scrubs, he wished that his mother would be there for him like everyone else's parents were for their kids, but she wasn't. He pretended to not give the day a care in the world, treating it like no other.

"Sounds pretty dumb honestly." Mia said, looking out at the window of the car. Ethan recognized this behavior, it being so similar to his own on that day. He had both his parents now, but she had neither of hers.

"I'll be there, I guess I could hear those insufferable speeches once again." he said, making her smile.

At Edenbrook, the new attendings were given the rundown on their new responsibilities, and then they went off to their patients. Sienna was working on patients coming in from Urgent Care, which was a large number due to it being the morning after New Year's Eve, and the crazy parties that happened that night. She walked into a patient room to see her patient just transported in. The patient had a couple of minor lacerations on her arms, as well as some swelling in her abdomen.

"You seem like a sweet young woman." the patient said to Sienna while she conducted different check-up exams.

"Thank you." Sienna responded with a smile.

"Would you like me to give you a reading?" the woman asked, handing Sienna a business card. 'Murrietta's Psychic and Tarot Card Reading' the card read.

"Woah, I've always loved the idea of getting a psychic reading." Sienna said, when she was struck with an idea. "Actually, today is a big day for me and my friends, would you mind doing a reading for all of us?"

"Of course, bring them in." Murrieta said. "This is not only my job, but something I love to do. Bring them in whenever you all can come."

After finishing up with the patient, Sienna walked outside, seeing Aurora and Mia signing charts at the nurses' station close by.

"What are you guys doing right now?" Sienna asked as she walked up to them.

"Having a party." Aurora's sarcastic nature responded.

"The older attendings took over the ER patients, so we were just cleaning up the slack up here." Mia said. "Just some charts and then its lunch time."

"Okay good, you two should come with me." Sienna said.

"For what?" Mia asked.

"One of my patients is a psychic and wants to give us a reading."

"Si, she's scamming you." Aurora said.