Brighter than the Stars

Art by- Unagi

——————————————————————————

It's not often that I enter a reality at night and yet, the stars still peek at me through my cottage window. A soft knock comes from my door, but I don't want to answer it. The feeling in the air is all too familiar.

I open the door.

"Why hello there, Hajime." Nagito says with a smile. His voice is too steady.

"Nagito... what are you doing here?" I ask robotically. I follow the script.

"...You sure ask weird questions. I mean... you guys have business with me, right? Chiaki invited me to the lobby. She said she had something she wanted to talk to me about. Everyone put her up to that, right?"

"Huh?"

"Looks like that's a bingo," He says. "But that's good timing. I have some business with you guys, too."

"You do?"

"Everyone's already at the lobby, right? That saves me a lot of trouble. And... I want you to come to the lobby too, even though you're not directly involved with the plan..."

The plan, the lobby...

I knew it... this is the reality.

The reality where I lose him again.

"Just as I thought... you were left out, huh. But that's understandable. Since you're the only one who's not an Ultimate, you've basically been left out from the start," I don't respond, receiving a frown. "...I'm only joking... Don't make such a scary face."

He turns away.

"Anyway... let's hurry over to the lobby. I don't know the details of your plan, so I'm actually looking forward to it. I wonder what you guys are going to do to me. When we first arrived at this island, we were friends who explored this place together. So let's go already!"

But this time... is different.

I'll make it different.

This is the third stage. The simulation is flexible... and anything I want can happen.

So this time, I'm going to save him.

I'm not going to let him die again... no matter what!

"Wait!" I grab his arm as he leaves my cottage.

"...What is it? Do you regret setting me up? I told you, I really don't mind." He says.

Anxiety pounds in my chest as the words get stuck in my throat.

"Please... don't go."

"Huh?"

"I... I can't let you do it. I can't let you go to the lobby."

"Why... not?" Nagito's face grows cold.

"...I-If you go in there... your plan will start... I-I know about your plan Nagito and... I can't let that happen to you!"

"Plan..? I don't know what you're talking about..."

"...You don't have to lie," I say. Fear grips my vocal cords. "I know... about the bombs and the warehouse and your plan to expose the traitor. I know... the lengths that y-you're willing to go to do this... but I can't let you. There no way I can let you do something like this!"

His eyes widen.

"You... figured it out..?"

"...Yes... but I'm not going to let you go through with it."