One More Mistake

Art by- sksn_herb

———————————————————————————

The sound of waves crashing against the beach fills my ears. The gentle warmth of the sun caresses my skin as I'm dragged from unconsciousness. My fingers brush the ground as my body tries to wake. Its gritty yet smooth, almost like sand...

Sand...

"Hey... Can you hear me...?" I open my eyes to see a figure standing over me.

"Are you okay? ...You seem pretty out of it. To be honest, I'm also... no, everyone else feels the same too since we suddenly... got put in this weird situation. ...Hey, are you listening?"

"...Nagito?"

Immediate fear pulses through my body.

"AAAUGH!" I punch him in face without thinking before running behind a nearby palm tree.

I put my hand to my stomach to check for a wound, but turn up with nothing, just like when I was shot by the Monobeasts.

I look back at Nagito from behind the tree. He's holding his nose. A few drops of pink fall from it as he attempts to pinch it closed.

"Ouch..," he groans. "...I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you... Are you okay?"

I glare at him from behind the tree.

Nagito... killed me- I thought my mind was destroyed, but somehow... I'm still here... I'm still alive...

I look around me. The white sandy beach... the crystal blue ocean... the sun's rays beaming down on me... even the soft tropical wind brushing my skin... it's all undeniably similar...

I must be in a new reality... like when I was shot by the monobeasts. I'm...at the beginning of the simulation again.

Sudden pain strikes me in the head. It's not as intense as it was before, but it still causes me to put my hand to my head and wobble slightly.

"Love! Lo- Oh my! Nagito, are you alright!?" Usami cries, appearing out of thin air.

"Y-yes. I just scared him a bit and ...got myself punched in the face," Nagito chuckles.

"Oh, I'm terribly sorry! Hajime, you should know better! Violence is strictly forbidden!" the bunny scolds. "I just wanted to come by to remind you both to talk with the other students, ...but maybe I should take you to the infirmary,"

"I-It's okay Usami. Don't trouble yourself with someone like me. I'll be alright," Nagito says.

"If you insist..," she says. "But please, make sure you meet with everyone and become the best of friends!" She gives me a quick look before disappearing.

Nagito wipes some blood with his sleeve as he looks at me with worry.

"A-Are you okay? Did you hit your head?" He asks, taking a step towards me. I step back.

"...N-no... I'm okay," I say with a shaky voice.

"Are you sure?"

"...Yes. Sorry..," I say.

"Okay...Um... I understand you might be a bit shaken after everything that's happened but why don't we start with an introduction?" He says."...I'm Nagito Komaeda. Nice to meet you... You said my name earlier... have we met?"

"...No. I... was just confused... I'm Hajime Hinata,"

I step out from behind the tree, but I don't get much closer to the lucky student.