The Same as Before

Art by- \-DanganFan-/

———————————————————————————

The sound of waves crash in the distance. The gentle warmth of the sun washes over me as I'm pulled from unconsciousness. My fingers brush the ground as my body tries to wake up. Its grainy and soft, almost like sand...

...Sand?

"Hey... Can you hear me...?" I open my eyes to see a figure standing over me.

"Are you okay? ...You seem pretty out of it. To be honest, I'm also... no, everyone else feels the same too since we suddenly... got put in this weird situation. ...Hey, are you listening?"

I blink.

"...Nagito?"

The fog in my head clears as I remember what happened. I immediately jolt up, smacking my head into Nagito's as I rise.

The white sandy beach... the crystal blue ocean... the sun's rays beaming down on me... even the soft tropical wind brushing my skin...It's undeniably similar to Jabberwock Island... but that doesn't make any sense...

I search my body for any bullet wounds, but to my surprise... I find nothing... almost like it never happened in the first place...

"Ouch..," Nagito groans, holding his forehead. "Sorry, that was my fault... Are you okay?"

"W-What happened?" I ask, still searching my body. "What happened to my wounds?"

"Um...I understand you might be confused after everything that's happened, but why don't we start with an introduction?" Nagito says.

"...Introductions?"

"...I'm Nagito Komaeda. Nice to meet you... You said my name earlier... Have we met?"

"...W-What are you saying...?" I ask.

"I guess you did seem pretty out of it when all that stuff happened," the lucky student sighs. "But I don't think we introduced ourselves... What's your name?"

My heart pounds.

I don't understand... One moment I'm being shot by a Monobeast, the next, I'm on the beach with Nagito again with no bullet wounds in sight..?

...Am I dead? I definitely should've died... there's no way I could stand that many bullets, especially without any wounds...

But Nagito's acting the same as before...like I'm still in the Neo World Program...

Like the simulation has started again...

"Nagito I-"

"Love! Love!" A cheery voice interrupts. I flinch as the familiar bunny stuffed animal appears out of thin air.

"U-Usami?!"

"Oh, did I startle you Hajime? I'm terribly sorry," the bunny cries. "I just wanted to come by to remind you both to talk with the other students on this island!You need to gather the Hope Fragments after all!"

"W-what?" I stutter.

"So make sure you meet with everyone and become the best of friends!" She shines. Then, she disappears.

"W-wait!" I cry, but it's no use.

...If Usami is here... and Nagito is talking to me like when I first got here...then maybe I am alive... and still in the Neo World Program...

But how is that possible? I died...

"What were you going to say?" Nagito asks, bringing me back to reality.