Breakfast with Nagito

Art by Xaltenia on Instagram and Twitter

I wake to the sound of Monokuma's shrill voice. I open my eyes, but the thought of getting out of bed fills me with dread.

It's been a few days since I woke up on the beach again. The simulation's been normal, besides the slight headache thats been in the back of my brain, but the exhaustion and despair of my situation has began to take a toll on me.

When I'm not busy trying to act natural, I spend almost all my time alone in my cottage. As the days go on, its getting harder and harder to eat or sleep. Chiaki and Monomi's concerned eyes become a norm and the constant heaviness of despair weighs on my back like an iron backpack.

Investigating Twogami's murder again, watching Teruteru's execution, awaiting updates on my escape, it's almost too much to bear. I don't know how much longer I can take this. How much longer I want to take this...

And to make it worst, today... I have to deal with him.

I force myself up, small dizziness following me as I stand. I leave my cottage not long after, still heavy with fatigue.

Fuyuhiko runs into me outside my cottage. I take his childish insults until he finally lets me go. Then, I head to the restaurant.

As I climb the stairs, Mahiru's bright, red hair comes into view, almost like she's taunting me. Reluctance washes over me as I go up to her. Her eyes light up the moment she sees me.

"Ah, nice timing! I've been waiting for somebody to come by," she says.

"...Waiting?"

"Um, I was thinking about delivering this..," Mahiru holds up a tray with toast and milk.

"Is... this someone's breakfast?" I ask robotically. "...Nagito's?"

"Yeah...I mean... if we just leave him all tied up, he's gonna starve..," She frowns. "Like... how long are they planning to continue this?"

"Well, there's no way we can keep him tied up forever..," I say.

As much as I wish we could.

"...Yeah that's what I thought at first. ...I actually went to see him earlier. I kindly brought him breakfast and then... listen to this!" Mahiru says. "He seriously pisses me off! He said he doesn't like rice and wanted toast instead! Doesn't he understand the situation he's in right now!?"

"...So that's why you're running back and forth... That must be hard for you,"

"... Hard? You really think so? Then bring this to Nagito on my behalf! I was forced to run back and forth too many times... I'm done being his maid. And not only that... I just remembered I have a little business to take care of,"

"...Business?"

"Yup. Thank you! I'll leave the rest to you!" She says. She pushes the tray into my hands and runs away before I can object.

I frown.

I am not looking forward to this.

I go back downstairs towards the old building. When I get inside, Monomi appears before me.

"No no no! This old building is being renovated. You can't go inside!" She cries.

"Don't worry. I'm just giving Nagito his food," I say.

"Oh I know," Monomi smiles. "I just have to say that. Go right ahead, but please, don't punch him this time!" She waddles to the side, giving me access to the building.

"No promises," I say, not sure if I'm joking.

I turn the corner and walk up to the door leading to the dinning hall. I reach for the handle when suddenly, I freeze.