A Night Under the Stars

Art by- shellcanpy on Twitter

A sigh leaves my mouth as I fall back on a bench in Jabberwock park. I close my eyes as the memories of what happened flood my brain once again.

The second class trial had been devastating the first time, but I never imagined how much worse it would be a second.

Witnessing the two sob into each other's arms before being forced to watch Peko's execution and Fuyuhiko get injured left an empty feeling in my stomach. Even though it's not really them, I couldn't help the ever growing despair expanding in my heart.

As I trudged out of Monokuma rock, a surge exhaustion came over me. After a quick check in with Chiaki, where she told me about a potential breakthrough Alter Ego was at, I went to Jabberwock park in an attempt to clear my head.

But now that I'm here, it's not working much...

I open my eyes and stare at the sky full of stars. I look for constellations in the sky.

The stars are beautiful tonight.

Studying the sky puts me at ease a bit, reminding me of life outside the Neo World Program and before I know it, I'm completely immersed in the sky.

At least, until the bench creaks beside me. I turn to look at who sat next to me and immediately recoil.

"Hey Hajime. Do you mind if I sit here?" Nagito asks. I subconsciously scoot away.

"...I don't care,"

Please don't sit. Please don't sit.

"Great! Thank you," he smiles. I resist a face palm.

I've been avoiding him as much as I can ever since I yelled at him in the dinning hall... but this guy just can't take a hint! Leave me alone already..!

We sit in awkward silence. I try to bring my attention back to the sky, but his presence is too much of a distraction. Eventually, I give up with a sigh.

I consider leaving, but...

'Yeah... you might want to apologize for that,' she said.

I roll my eyes.

...Why do you have to be such a good person Chiaki..?

"...Um... I'm sorry... for yelling at you the other day..," I say.

"Huh? Oh, that's okay. I didn't really mind," Nagito says. He smiles his polite smile.

"...Really?" I ask.

"Of course! It's what a disgusting person like me deserves after all,"

More silence.

That... can't be it...

"It's just- I don't get you!" I say. "It gets on my nerves that I don't know why you do what you do or understand your... weird beliefs..,"

"...Oh...Well, what do you want to know?" Nagito asks, seeming a bit surprised.

"I don't know... Why are you so obsessed with Ultimates and ...talents and stuff like that..?"

What am I doing? ...There's no point in trying to get him...

"That's obvious!" He says matter-of-factly. "Because those with talents bring the most hope, unlike talentless, unremarkable people,"

"Who says talentless people can't bring hope..?" I ask.

"They... can," Nagito says. "But no where near the amount of hope the Ultimates bring! A talentless person's hope could never amount to a talented person's... no matter how hard they try,"