The Hope that Sleeps Inside You

Art by- dianavigo on Tumblr

———————————————————————————

Ever since that night at the park, I can't seem to get Nagito off my mind. Whenever I'm trying to figure out what reality I'm in or attempting to stay in character around the others, I always find him in the back of my brain.

On one hand, my mind is yelling at me to stop thinking about him.

He's crazy! He could kill me in a heartbeat and wouldn't even feel bad about it! He'll never make sense to me! Don't talk to him!

...But there's also a part of me whispering the opposite.

I kind of understand what he's saying... I want to know what he meant when he said that... He's actually sort of fun to hang out with... Talk to him...

It causes me to leave red handprints on my forehead... and yet, I still think about him.

Eventually, I had to figure it out for myself and one reality, I spent some free time with him. Now it's worse than ever.

What is wrong with me...?

As I walk around the second island, I take in the scenery. Chiaki told me its one day before Monokuma releases the despair disease and three days before the next murder. My heart squeezes at the thought, but I try to shove it down. I probably won't even make it that far in this reality.

Passing the library, I glance through the window.
Inside sits Nagito, reading a book with an intense look on his face. I stare for a moment before hesitantly reaching for the door and pulling it open.

Maybe it'll happen today...

Nagito doesn't seem to notice my presence as I sit across from him. I sit there awkwardly, waiting for him to see me, but after about two minutes, I give up and tap the edge of his book. He jumps.

"Hajime! S-Sorry, I didn't realize you were there," he says with his usual smile.

"It's fine. You looked pretty concentrated on your book," I say. "...What're you reading?"

"Its called The Incident," Nagito beams, clearly excited to talk about the book. "It's about this terrible woman who causes trouble at her school. She plans to plunge the world into despair with her sister and a man who the school experimented on. It's very interesting... I wonder how the author came up with it..,"

That sounds familiar...

"That doesn't sound like a happy book,"

"Well... I'm only reading it for the ending. With such a despair filled beginning... and middle, there has to be a gloriously hopeful ending! Otherwise it wouldn't have been written!" The lucky student says. His eyes get that crazy look for a moment before disappearing just as quickly. "Anyways... I shouldn't waste your valuable time with my rambling. Was there something you needed?"

I glance to the side.

"I was just... wondering what you were doing,"

"Oh! Perhaps... do you want to read with me?" He asks like he's a child at an amusement park.

"...Sure... I guess,"

"I'm so blessed to hear you say that to me..," Nagito smiles. "Its amazing you can stand to be around me! I would love nothing more than to show you my favorite books Hajime. I'll be right back,"

I roll my eyes, but I can't help the corners of my mouth from turning upwards.

He would love nothing more...