14

Aaron walked into the building, heading straight to where Garroth was kept. He was well rested and ready to go. He hoped that the questions and tests that the researchers wanted to perform today aren't too challenging or concerning. Yet, he had a feeling that Aphmau wasn't going to allow anything that was too frightening for the merman. When he walked in, Garroth was already up but, had a look of worry painted over his face. Aaron walked up to the deck and waited for him to break the surface. 

"Hey Garroth...is everything okay?", He asked. 

"Aphmau has been here all night. I think you should go check on her,", Garroth said, pointing to the lounge behind them.

Aaron entered the room to see that indeed that Aphmau must've stayed the night here. She was passed out on the couch and snoring slightly, while her body was contorted in a interesting way. Aaron held back a laugh and decided to gently wake her up. 

"Hey Aph...it's time to get up." 

"Ugh..five more minutes,", Aphmau mumbled in a half-asleep daze. Yet, once she noticed that it was Aaron, she bolted up and asked; "Am I late?" 

"Heh, no, I just got here early. I wanted to talk to Garroth about the probable tests that they might be performing today." 

"Oh, okay,", The young woman sighed, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

Unfortunately, Aaron was confused as to why Aphmau was here. He was aware of Ein and how cruel he could be towards her but, there was no way he had the power to push her out of her own home. He asked softly; "Is everything okay?"

Aphmau bit her lip and said; "It doesn't matter. I'll talk to you about it later." 

"Okay then...let me know if you need anything." 

"Thank you Aaron!", She said rather cheerfully. "I'll be out in a few minutes." 

Once Aaron left, Aphmau pulled out her phone to see that she missed several calls from Vylad and Katelyn last night. She quickly called them back, Katelyn picking up her phone immediately yelling at her; "Where the hell are you?" 

"I'm at work...I'm sorry that I didn't go to Vylad's like you told me." 

She heard her sigh on the other side but, replied soon after saying; "It's okay. You just worried all of us. Are you going to be okay today?" 

"Y-Yeah...can I ask you a favor though?" 

"Sure, anything."

"Can you get me a bag of clothes? Just for tonight and tomorrow?" 

"Of course but, are you sure you want to be out that long? It is your home after all." 

"Yeah I'm sure. I can't face him right now." 

"Okay then...see you at lunch?" 

"Yes! See you then!" 

They both hung up and Aphmau put on a smile, ready to fling herself into work. 

...

Aphmau looked down at the list of questions she needed to ask Garroth for the day. It wasn't too long but, some seemed rather personal. Garroth insisted though they just go along with it since he didn't want her to get into too much trouble on the first day. 

"Do you remember anything from the night you were brought here?" 

"Not really...it's all kind of blurry." 

"Do you enjoy your living conditions here?" 

"I would prefer some more privacy but, I guess it'll do."