6

Aphmau slammed open the door of the Deli, causing the small family to jump in surprise. Vylad saw that she was out of breath and her hair was tangled. Curious he asked; "What's up with you?" 

"I need help!", She exclaimed, rushing up to the counter. 

Zianna and Jay just looked at each other, not really know how to answer the young woman. Vylad on the other hand, excited, asked; "Does this have to do with anything related to that mermaid thing?" 

"Promise you three won't tell anyone?", Aphmau asked the family, receiving nods in return. "There is a merman in the facility. He was found a few days ago washed up on shore. Now, we can't seem to feed him which worry some. But, I think I know what to do!" 

The family looked shocked and was in disbelief. Zianna though, had a slightly different reaction. She was still shocked but, it didn't last long before she went to work. Aphmau watched her with inquisitive eyes as she got the bread to start making a sandwich.  Vylad, confused questioned his mother; "What are you doing?" 

"I'm making a sandwich for that merman,", Zianna said. "What do you think you need Aphmau?" 

"I-I uh...I don't think he eats any meat or fish. So...I guess just a vegetarian sandwich." 

Zianna smiled and went to making the sandwich, Vylad and Jay still behind the counter. The mother snapped her neck towards them and said; "Someone has to make her sandwich! Stop standing around!" 

The two scrambled but, Jay ultimately one that was going to make the sandwich. Vylad, now with nothing to do, decided to join Aphmau while they wait. They sat at a table made for two and laughed as Zianna and Jay scrambled to get everything done before opening. 

"Your mom is the sweetest person ever,", Aphmau sighed, leaning on her hand, looking at Vylad. 

"Yeah...she really is. How's all this going for you by the way? I'm sure that this isn't easy at the research center,", Vylad curiously concluded. 

"Eh, not that bad. At home it's a different story,", She groaned, rolling her eyes. "My step-sister came over unannounced to me. Ein knew of course and now I'm stressed about making sure she has a good time." 

Vylad's expression went from concern to anger. The young man usually didn't get upset at most things but, when his best friend is involved, that's when the sparks come. It didn't help that this was because of her stupid brother. His green eyes narrowed and his hands clenched into fists on the table. The raven-hair girl put her tan hand on top of his fist and said; "Don't worry about it. Just if they come over don't be too surprised." 

"Surprised isn't the word I would describe my attitude in that situation,", He grumbled in response, leaning back in his chair. 

Aphmau was happy that her friend was so willing to help but, she didn't want him to get upset about it. Especially since she really just wanted the level-headed Vylad instead to talk some sense to her. 

"Here you go Aph! Sorry it took longer than usual,", Zianna huffed, putting the bag on the table in front of her. She wiped her hands on her apron and asked; "Does this merman have name by chance?"

"Not yet. Hopefully though. I don't really like calling him 'the merman',", Aphmau giggled. "I'll let you guys know if he does. Thank you so much again!" 

"Of course, and good luck with your step-sister!", Vylad said, his mood a little better than before. 

"Thanks! See you guys later,", She waved, walking out of the deli on her way to work. 

...

 "Do you really think this will work Aph?", Aaron asked, looking at the veggie sub in her hand.