3

Garroth sat up in his bed, looking out the window to see it was dark outside once again. He got out of bed and grabbed his bag to swing it across his shoulder. His put on his baldric, tightening it around his waist. He poked his head out the window, that was really just a gaping hole in the wall to put it simply, to see if the guards were still around. Once he saw that the coast was clear, was ready to swim out but, was pulled back in by his shoulder. Once he looked back, he saw his brother, Zane, staring back at him with a stern face. 

"What are you doing?", He asked, not looking to be in a good mood. Garroth rolled his eyes and huffed out; "What do you think?" 

Zane, feeling semi-guilty about the whole situation, gently said; "You know we can't keep doing that Garroth. We're older and have responsibilities. You can't just swim around outside the gates and expect to come back every time." 

"I know...I understand why Dad has these rules but, don't you think it's a bit dramatic?", Garroth urged, waving his hands around as he spoke. 

"You do realized you sound ridiculous...right?", Zane mumbled. "...You making what happened sound pointless. Of course Dad is concern." 

Garroth knew what Zane was talking about was trying his hardest to avoid it. It was a sensitive topic for the both of them and the last thing he needed was a full on argument. Especially if it could catch the attention of their guards. 

"Zane...please. I promise this will be the last time. I just need a last experience before-" 

Zane interrupting him by saying; "Before you become King?" 

Garroth sighed and nodded. He knew how petty that sounded but, in all reality, the blonde prince was stressed about his future. His father has put abdicating his throne as a early "retirement" plan and giving it to Garroth but, the young man couldn't wrap his mind around ruling over O'Khasis and all the creatures who inhabited it's land at the age of twenty-five. Zane knew of his anxiety but, thought Garroth was over-examining the whole thing. As much as he does get annoyed at his older brother from time to time, he does think Garroth would be fine in the position. Still, that wouldn't change his mind.  The younger brother thought to himself of what to do...find a compromise maybe. 

"How about this?", He suggested. "You and me spend one more night out. That's it. Even if we get caught." 

Garroth's blue eyes lit up and he immediately thanked his brother; "Thank you baby brother! You regret this!" 

"Shhh!", Zane shushed, putting his hand over Garroth's mouth. "We don't want Laurance or Blaze on our trail now would we?" 

Garroth, still having a hand over his mouth, nodded his head. Zane chuckled and took it off, apologizing for the gesture. "I'll grab my stuff." 

~~~~

Unlike the other night, the two were able to slip through the gates easily. Once they made it a considerable distance away from O'Khasis, Zane finally asked his brother; "Where are we going?" 

"I saw on a stone craving in the library that there are these caverns not too far away,", Garroth explained, swimming next to him. "We'll just leave a trail of these shells to guide our way back out." 

Zane was a bit put off by his brother's plan. First off, having to leave a trail of shells didn't seem to be the logical solution. Second, going into underwater caves this deep in the ocean could lead into having confrontations with dangerous species, like sharks or octopuses, that aren't on good terms with the merfolk. 

"Are you sure about this? If we head back and ask Laurance or Blaze to come with us, I'm sure they would if it meant that it promised your safety,", Zane brought up, a twinge of nerves showing in his voice.