Drawing Straws

"Bill, wait! Where the hell do you think you're going?!" I wheeled my bike out into the street, but it was too late. Bill had already turned the corner.

        "Which way did he turn?" Behind me, the others we're picking up their bikes and mounting it. I pointed down the street. 

         "He turned left at the end. We gotta catch up to him!" I mounted my bike and the others passed by me with Richie in the lead. I pushed off the ground with my feet and pedaled as fast as I could to catch up with them.

        I rarely went to Neibolt street. That place gave everyone the creeps. And not just kids. Adults too. Let's just say, that house has been there longer than the oldest resident of Derry. Eddie even said he feels like someone is always watching him whenever he goes down that street. And now we were chasing Bill as he led us to that very house.

I was able to pull up next to Stan. He along with everyone else was standing on the pedals of his bike to get more momentum.

"What does Bill think he is gonna do when he gets there?" I asked Stan and he looked at me. Beads of sweat were starting to form on his head. He shrugged.

"I'm not sure. To be honest, what are we going to say to change his mind? That...that thing watches us. It knows where we are...or where we are going." Stan sped up a little to catch up with the group, and with a large inhale, I too followed. My hands felt tingly from the rough road and my butt was getting sore, but I was able to keep up with the group the entire time. We got to Neibolt in about ten minutes.

          "Bill!" We all hollered as we pulled up to the house. When I got there, the sight of the boarded up house sent a chill down my spine, even in the middle of July. Bill was on the porch of the house, his hand about to grab the doorknob.

          "Bill, come in man! You can't go in there!" Richie had thrown go bike down next to Bill's and walked into the property without hesitation. Beverly, Mike, Ben, and Eddie also went in, but it was Stan was hesitated. As The others struggled to talk Bill into not going in, I caught Stan standing in the gate opening. He was clenching and unclenching his fists. I sighed and put my hand on his shoulder.

         "it's alright. It's just a crusty front yard. It's what's on the inside, and there is no way we are going in there." The corner of his mouth twitched a bit and and his shoulder left my palm as he walked onto the property of the house. I too hesitated a bit before passing through the gate, and instantly I got this...this horrible feeling. We weren't alone. I joined the others, but it seems that their pleads weren't enough because now Bill was speaking. I missed most of his speech because I was paranoid the entire time, but when Bill mentioned Betty, he caught my full attention. It went something like this:

      "Look, you don't have to come with me. But what happens if another Georgie goes missing? Or another Betty, or another Ed Corcoran, or...one of us? Are we just gonna pretend that none of this is happening like the rest of the town is? Because I can't. I go home and all I see is that Georgie isn't there. His clothes, his toys, his stupid stuff animals, but he isn't. So walking into this house, for me, is easier than walking into my own home."

         It was silent after his speech and I looked to the ground. He was right. The town wasn't doing anything about this. The police made a curfew, that was it. Parents put up missing signs, but no one is making an effort to actually find them. I understood how Bill felt. I...I related to someone I thought I was supposed to hate.

         "Wow, he didn't stutter once." Richie said in amazement and shock. I looked up to Bill and I saw something in him. He wasn't scared. Even after what just happened in his garage, he wasn't scared. He was determined. I had to admit so admired that about him. It made him more likable.