Argument

I looked at myself in the mirror as I smoothed out my dress. It was the nicest dress I owned. I wasn't even sure how to dress at a bar mitzvah, but the way Stan described it, it sounded like a pretty big deal. I'd rather overdress that underdress...but either way would be embarrassing. I wore white flats that matched my dress and a headband as well. I didn't bother with too much makeup: just some mascara and some lip gloss.

Then I grabbed my jacket and put it on so my dress would just look like a skirt. I hadn't told my parents that I was going to Bar Mitzvah. Why would I? I know they would just say no and ground me again. I wasn't going to tell them.

I pulled my jacket down as far as I could to hide the floral patterns and made it look more like a skirt. I fixed my hair again and took a deep breath.

"You got this." I tried to give myself a bit in encouragement. "You are lying for a reason. You are going against them for a reason." I took a few deep breaths and opened my door. I could hear the usual clinging of pans in the kitchen, and my dad had the TV on the news. I tried not to shake as I walked down the hall to the kitchen. "Be casual. Don't stutter." I entered the kitchen and casually sat down at the table. I grabbed a strip of bacon, toast, and some eggs and put it on the plate in front of me. They didn't notice yet. Maybe I have a better chance then I thought. My mom was doing something by the stove, and my dad's eyes were glued to the TV. I don't think they even saw me enter. I ate my food carefully, trying not to get crumbs or oil in my dress and wiped my fingers on the napkin when I finished. I stood up silently and put my dishes in the sink. My parents still haven't said one word. Just keep acting normal, I repeated in my head over and over. I went to the front door, and reheated my lie in my head a few more times.

"Hey mom, I'm going to the library to meet some friends. I got a call the other day when you were gone and they said they were starting a book club, and they wanted me to join." I watched as my dad turned his attention away from the TV and to my mom, who was now staring at me and had a hand on her hip.

"What friends?" She asked instantly. I knew this was going to come up.

"They were classmates last school year. I talked to them a few times, but we never really thought about hanging out til now. And maybe I should start reading again before school start. Reboot my brain, am I right?" My dad seemed to have fallen for it, but my mom was still curious.

"Well, what are their names?" My god, this isn't a police interview.

"Rachel, Barbara, Michelle, and Stella." Literally took Richie, Ben, Mike, and Stan and thought of girl names that sounded like theirs. I stood there, my hand on the doorknob, inches away from leaving. I glanced over at the clock. It was 11:45. It was only a seven minute bike ride to the synagogue, but if my mom took any longer inspecting me, I was going to be late.

            "Why are you wearing such a nice dress for a book club? And I haven't seen that headband since that wedding we went to in Connecticut."

            "Mom, why are you so interest in what I'm wearing?"

            "Hey!" My dad chimed in all of a sudden. "Don't speak to your mother in that tone. She asked you a question, it isn't hard to answer.

             "I...just saw that headband and I thought, it's been a while. And the dress is really nice to wear in the summer. It lets my body breathe." My mom raised and eyebrow and shook her head.

             "No, I'm not buying it. This entire summer you've worn rompers and summer dresses. This is a dress you wear at special events." My eyes widened and I gripped the door knob tightly out of anger.