Bye, Bye, Betty Ripsom

When I stepped out the school doors of Derry Middle school, a blanket of heat pressed up onto my face. I squinted and looked around the school grounds, trying to look for Greta. I could already feel myself start to sweat as I stood into he steps of the school. There were cars lined up in front of the school, already packed and ready to go to the airport. In the park next to the school kids had brought blankets to sit on and have picnics. And then I saw Greta. She was picking at her nails as she leaned uo against the trunk of a tree. I grabbed the straps of my backpack to lift some weight off my shoulders and headed down the steps. As I made my way to the park, I heard some commotion go on behind me. I turned my head to get a quick glance and see what was happening.

       Bowers and his gang was surrounded a group of boys. Only one of them was facing my way, and I recognized him as Bill Denbrough. I didn't really know him very well. I just new that he lived around the block on Witcham St., and his little brother was the first of many to go missing in town. My mom suggested that I go and give my condolences, but I thought that would be awkward. I mean, I did feel bad that his brother has been missing for almost a year, but it is just awkward to have someone you never talked to before come up to you an act like you are there best friends through thick and thin.

     I watched from a distance as Henry and his disgusting friends surrounded Bill and his friends, who were getting up front when ground. Bowers didn't do much tormenting and started to walk away, but Bill, who was now facing away from me, must've said something that made Henry turn back around. Bill's friends were standing a little far oof, trying not to get involved. There was a boy in a light pink polo shirt, a boy wearing a Hawaiian type shirt, and...I felt my mouth drop again. It was the boy she shared at rather intense staring contest with in the hall. I quickly spun around and made my way to Greta.

       "Okay, what do you..." I was cut off when Greta's fist made contact with my cheek. I rubbed my cheek vigorously and looked at Greta. She was in her sassy pose.

        "That's what you get for helping Marsh. You thought none of us would notice, but while you were being all innocent and nice to that girl, Piper snuck back in and saw what you did. The point was for her to walk around school smelling like trash." As stood up straight and I could feel my cheek throb.

"Gee have a nice summer, Greta." I said with a flat tone. Greta sneered and made a hole with her lips as if she was going whistle. Instead, she blew hard and launched her slimy piece of gum right at me. I dodged it right at the last minute.

"I knew you'd crack. You're too weak. We may still be neighbors, but we were never friends. Phone is when you actually realize you are nothing without us." She pushed passed me as well as the others, and I watched as they all hopped into a rather nice car that was pulled off to the side of the road.

I let out a rather obnoxious sigh and bowed my head. Summer was going off to a great start. I lifted my head and sort of looked around like a lost puppy. I knew where I had to go. The Derry Catholic Church was three blocks away, on the very outskirts of town. I had to meet my parents at the church after school, but I didn't bring my bike and my parents can pick me up, so I have to walk.

As I looked around, my eyes stopped on two police cars. There were were two cops, one being Henry's dad, hanging out in front of the school, probably making sure that kids were getting to their parents or at least with another person. A little closer to the sidewalk was a woman in a blue dress. She had short black hair and her face was red. I recognized her immediately. She was the mother of Betty Ripsom.

Betty Ripsom went missing about a month ago. She was technically my only real friend. She went to the baptist church just across the street from the school and she lived on RidgeLine Road, a street that intersected West Broadway and was directly in front of my house. I've known her since first grade, but didn't really start talking to her until third grade when we were in the same class. When I was with her, I remember being myself. Unlike Greta, she didn't force me to do bad things. I could disagree with her and she wouldn't slap me. I was me. I finally had an excuse when m parents asked why I didn't hang out with Greta. I was hanging out with Betty instead. It was wonderful. However, the summer after fourth grade, we started to grow apart. My parents preferred that I hang out with Greta even though I didn't want to. I started to talk to Betty less, hang out with her less. In fifth grade I had no classes with her at all, and I would only pass her in the hall once in a while. When we did she each other, we would exchange a small smile, but then she'd continue on with her friends, and me with mine. By the time six grade came around, we were just "old friends". I had English with her and we sat a few desks away from each other. The last interaction we had before she...she went missing was a school project we had been assigned to work on together.