Busted

As if the day could get any worse, I came home to my parents. Late. I took a detour to the arcade. I had to relieve some stress and thankfully I found some loose quarters on the sidewalks and the first thing that came to mind was the arcade. I wasn't sure why, but for some reason it seemed like the only place I felt welcomed.

I parked my bike in the alleyway and went into the back way to the arcade. It was mostly empty. A few boys were huddled around a street fighter and one small kid playing pac-man, but that was about it. I took the quarters out of my dress pocket and tossed it in the palm of my hands. My feet were already walking to the gun game. I pushed two quarters into the slot and picked up the toy rifle. I pulled the trigger and game started. I didn't muss one target. I blocked out everything: the fight, Neibolt street, my parents, Betty. It was all gone. It was just me and the video game. And when one round ended, another one began. I played game after game after game, not missing a shot. It was when I ran out of coins when I realized the sun was setting and I was the only one in the arcade. I looked at my watch. Shit. It was past 5:30. I quickly placed the rifle back in the slot and ran out the arcade building to my bike.

I rode as fast as I could to my house. I huffed with every other pedal and I every time I checked the time, more and more time had gone by. Though the ride from the arcade to my house was only fifteen minutes, it felt like it took at least an hour until I finally pulled into my driveway. Through the window, I could see the light on in the kitchen, another in the living room. I quietly got off my bike and quietly rolled it into the alley between the garage and the house. I took a deep breath. This wasn't going to be good. I went to the side door of the house and quietly opened it and peeked in.

The hallway to the living room was dark, but the light in the living room illuminated the hallway so I could see the family pictures that hung on the walls. I kicked off my converse and quietly stepped into the house, closing the door behind me.

"Lucille, is that you?" My mom's voice came from the kitchen. She must've had the kitchen sink on because I heard the pipes in the house make a little rumbling sound then go quiet.

"Yeah, mom. It's me." There was no way to avoid them now. As calmly as I could, I made my way past the foyer. I could see my dad in the corner of my eye stare at me on the couch, but I didn't make eye contact. I went directly to the kitchen. In the counter was a plate of food for me.

"Where were you? You know our curfew. It's almost six. Just because the police say you can stay out til seven doesn't mean we say you can." I took the plate and put it into the microwave.

"I'm sorry, mom, it won't happen again." I tried to sound like I didn't have the worst day of my life. It just made things worse.

"It sure won't happen again because you are grounded for the rest of the month." I turned around to see my dad in the doorway. He had his arms crossed and had his reading glasses on.

          "Wait dad, it was only one time. It won't happen again." Now I was actually concerned. "It was just one time. I lost track." My dad rubbed his stubby chin.

           "It's not just because you were home late.  Forget it. Eat your dinner and we will talk to you in the morning."

           "Wait, I want to hear why I am grounded." Now I cared. It was unfair of them to ground me when I didn't even do anything that bad.

"Lucille! You know how we feel about you talking back to us in that tone." My mom also had her arms crossed now.

"I'm sorry, but I just don't understand why you are grounding me for so long. I mean it's summer. Mistakes happen, but it won't happen again alright."
"No, Lucille. This has been going on for too long. You've been lying to us since the beginning of the summer. You've been hangin out with people we don't approve of."

          "Finally you see that Greta is a bitch. I'm so glad you finally see it." My mom's hand went to her mouth and my dad's eyes widened.

            "How could you say that about Greta? She is an amazing girl who already has a job. You are the problem. Your mother ran into this woman at the store. Nice woman. She said she moved here not too long ago, and she had a son. His name was Ben Hanscom." I already knew where this was going.

             "Yes and I told her that my sighted had been hanging out with him. Brought him up in a conversation. So she says 'ohh I've seen your daughter before. She and her friends are real nice letting Ben into their group. Yeah Ben take about his friends all the time. He gushes over a girl Beverly Marsh, and he explains how he talks a lot with Bill. You know Bill Denbrough, right? He's a real nice boy. Shame about the stutter though. And there is also Richie Tozier I believe and Freddy...no Eddie Kaspbrak. You know them?' Now when I heard 'Marsh' and 'Denbrough', I thought, my daughter couldn't be hanging out with these people, by then she mentioned another boy's name. Stanley Uris. And my mind went back to that phone call you got in the Fourth of July. I politely ended the conversation and went home to your father telling him the news." My dad had stepped out of the room and came back with a phone book. It was opened more towards the end.

       "Now, Lucille, we backed off when you first told us of this kid. But Uris, I thought. Uris is such and unusual last name. So I got to the phone book, and I find Donald Uris. Next to his name. The phone number to the synagogue in town." He slammed the book closed and put it under his armpit. "You know how we feel about you hanging out with non-Catholics. They put things into your head. False ideas that go against what we believe."

          "Dad, we barley even talk...well talked about that kind of stuff. You act like hanging out with them was such a bad thing, but honestly, that were the best thing that happened to me this summer."

         "They were?" My dad raised an eyebrow.

          "I'm not hangin out with them anymore. Is that what you want. God must've heard your prayer and we got into a fight today. They don't want to be my friend. Hope your happy." The microwave went off a few minutes ago, but no one was paying attention.

          "Oh sweetie. You know we can't trust the Denbroughs." She went in to hug me all the sudden as if she wasn't just disciplining me a second ago. I stepped away, however.

          "No, mom! That's the reason we got into a fight. They don't like me because I hang out with Greta. Bill doesn't like me because you guys hold a grudge on them for something that wasn't even that big of a deal. You guys control my life and now it's ruined." I made my way to my bedroom. I wasn't hungry anymore. I wanted to crawl into a hole a die.

           "Sweetie, we just want what's best for you." I felt my dad's hand touch my shoulder, and I shrugged it off.

           No, you don't. You want what's best for you and your reputation. You never ask me what I want to do. I didn't want to be friends with Greta. I didn't want to sing at church. I didn't want to hate the Denbroughs. But I didn't disobey, you know why? Because I was trying to be a good daughter. But now I realize, I was just a puppet. I did whatever you wanted me too because you knew I wouldn't disobey. Well guess what. I'm not like that anymore. You want to know what I did this summer? I went to the arcade and played a gun game, and I'm good at it. I won a bet with strangers. I helped Ben because he got hurt. I went to The Quarry with them and snuck out of the house to hang out with them. I got rid of all the eggs in fourth fo July to have an excuse to hang out with them. I became best friends with all of them. So fuck all this. Fuck your rules and restrictions. I'm not afraid and I am my own person. You are going to have to let me go. You can't control me forever!

...That was what I wanted to say. My heart was telling me to blurt everything out, but my mouth held back. My mom still looked at me concerned and my dad's hand was still in my shoulder.

       "We just want what's best for you, Lucille." My dad repeated. I sighed and nodded.

         "Yes daddy, I know. I'm sorry I disobeyed you and it won't happen again. Like I said, we got into a fight and they don't want to hang out with me. Earlier on I was invited to a party, but I won't go. Not if it makes you upset." My dad moved his hand onto my head and patted it gently. My mom went back to the sink. The discussion was over.

         "That's my Lucille. Now go get a shower or  something. You smell horrible. Your food will be in the microwave when you get out." I nodded and silently walked down the hallway to my bathroom. Tears ran down my cheeks and I sobbed the entire night.