Well...shit!

I felt sweat roll down my face as I peddled as fast as I could to the trail to The Quarry. I didn't dare slow my pace. I tried to get that gory image out of my head, but it wouldn't leave. It implanted itself deep in my brain, tattooed in my memories. I remembered every tatter on Betty's pink dress, the smell of death in every corner of the room. There was blood everywhere oozing out of Betty's missing torso, and her smile was...it was haunting. Her yellow stained teeth and the bone popping out of cheek...

     I shuddered, causing my bike to wiggle. When I was biking on a path alone, I  would constantly look over my shoulder to make sure it wasn't following me. I did this repeatedly until I got to the park. I skidded to a stop when I got to the front of the entrance. The trees towered above, creating an archway. The path to The Quarry was almost a straight path until the end. I looked behind my shoulder, then pushed off again and headed to to The Quarry. I pedaled and kept my head down. I would jerk my head up if I heard the rustling of leaves, only to find it being a squirrel or a bird. I was tense the entire trail, until finally I turned a corner and saw a bunch of bikes up ahead. They were all on the ground except for one, which was upright by the kickstand. I exhaled, feeling relief overflow me.

"I made it," I whispered to myself. "I made it and they are actually here. And I didn't die." I lifted my leg over my seat and brought my body to one side of the bike. As it slowed down, I jumped off and put my kickstand down.

"It's okay, Lucy. You were invited." I gave myself a little pep-talk as I was taking off my dress. I kicked off my shoes and reached down to take off my socks. My sock felt damp and crusty. I looked down and saw that the thing did more than just skim his fingers on me. On my ankle were three large scratch marks, like ones you'd get from an animal or something. I guess I was in so much shock that I didn't feel it claw at my skin. It was definitely something I was gonna feel later.

Suddenly, I heard voices from the right of me and I jumped back. From the woods came three boys: Ben, Bill, and Stan. They all had stopped mid-conversation and were looking at me.

"Are you okay?" Ben asked. "You look kinda pale." I pushed my hair behind my ears and nodded. Bill kinda stared at me, unsure of what to think of me, then he went to the edge of the cliff and jumped right in.

"You made it." Stanley smiled a bit and walked towards me. I felt awkward being in my underwear and bra with two kids I didn't even know that well Tik yesterday. Scratch that...I still don't really know them.

"Yeah...sorry I was late...I had to do some chores." I lied, but they didn't seem to care. "How is your...umm...you know?" I signaled my hand to Ben's stomach.

"Oh it's fine." He looked over to the cliff, then back to me. "I was able to cover all the bruises with my sweatshirt and some jeans so my mom wouldn't freak out. And the wound is starting to scab over." I nodded, keeping my arms crossed. Ben brushed his wet hair out of his forehead. "Thanks for helping with the supplies." Then he ran off over the cliff, which was followed by a loud splash. It was now just me and Stan.

"Uhhh...thanks for umm...inviting me. I feel kinda awkward though since I don't really know you guys, but I appreciate it. I really do." Stan rubbed the back of his neck and smiled. I felt my arms loosen a bit. I noticed that he was keeping his gaze at my face rather than the rest of my body.

"I just thought, hey you helped us, and we didn't repay you. So why not invite you to hang with us. But I mean you can always leave if you want." I sighed and looked to the cliff.

"Well, I'm already here and I already have my clothes off. If they hate me still, they hate me, but I want to have some kind of fun this summer." And I didn't want to go back home alone, knowing that thing was out there, I thought this but never said it. I walked to the edge of the cliff and looked down.