Cult

I stared that the black stitches running down my arm before I took the gauzes and medical tape and started wrapping it.

My mom suggested keeping it wrapped since it was such a huge wound with so many stitches. She didn't want anything tearing out the stitches or anything that would cause an infection. The doctor said that was unneeded, but I didn't mind either. It made me feel cooler, having a huge bandage on my arm.

      When I finished wrapping my arm, I left the bathroom and headed into the kitchen. The smell of bacon filled the halls, and I could hear the oil crackle and spit as the bacon cooked in the pan. My dad was at the table with his coffee as usual. My mom was multitasking between the bacon and waffles.

        "Morning sweetie." My mom took a quick look at me before facing back at the stove.

         "Goodmorning." I sat down, but just as I did, the phone rang. I looked at my dad, and he shrugged. "I'll go answer it." I sighed and got back up. I grabbed the phone and twirled the wire in between my fingers.

         "Hello?"

          "Hey L...Luh...Lucy." It was Bill. I honestly still wasn't used to having him call my house. But things settles down between us...or should I say, our parents. Apparently my mom and dad went over to the Denbroughs and actually apologized for acting like complete asses. I guess almost losing me to "bullies" did something after all.

         "Oh, uhh. Hey Bill. What's up?" I felt my mom and dad both look at me, then back to their own stuff.

         "Buh...Beverly is luh...leaving tomorrow to guh...go to Portland, and I wuh...wanted us to suh...say goodbye. Cuh...can you muh...make it?"

         "What time?"

         "Around noon." Bill responded. I looked at my watch. It was 11:30.

         "Hold on. Let me ask my mom and dad." I held the phone in my chest to muffle to sound and turned away from the wall to face my parents. I already had Their attention though.

         "Where are you going?" My dad asked. The newspaper started to droop in his hands.

           "Beverly...the red head. She is leaving town tomorrow to live with her relatives in Oregon, and Bill wants us all to say goodbye. Can I go please?" My mom and dad exchanged glances.

          "Alright, just as long as you stay for Breakfast first." I smiled and nodded. I held the phone back up to my ear.

          "I can come. Where are we meeting?"

           "There is a puh...path by the kissing buh...bridge that leads t...t..to an opening by the riverbuh...bank. We are guh...going to be meeting there."

            "Alright. See you then." I hung up the phone and sat back down. My mom had finished the bacon and eggs and were bringing them over now. Before she even set it down, I grabbed a lot of bacon and some eggs.

          "So where are you meeting?" My mom asked.

          "Oh, there is this clearing the the Kissing Bridge..." my mom looked me confused. "The red...barn looking thing that passes over the river that runs on the edge of town." She mouthed and "oh" and nodded.

         "Be safe, alright? We don't want to see you come home without an arm." I laughed and chewed on my bacon.

         "Nah, I won't. We are just meeting. It's just a farewell get together. That's all. I can't make any promises though..." I joked and my dad nudged me playfully before folding his magazine. We are the rest of our breakfast more silently. My dad talked of politics and my mom pretended to be listening.  But the time I finished my breakfast, it was 11:55. I put my plate in the sink and walked over to the front to put my shoes on. My wrapped up arm made it a little harder to tie my converse because every movement was a little uncomfortable, but O managed.