Half of the Truth

SCOTT POV

“Guys, I’m here! Now, where are they?” I asked. I shifted back into my human form, and the cold frost bit my nose.

Turning to my left, I see Wayne beginning to run to my direction. He was in his wolf form, a caramel brown wolf with a white face. He was a small lanky wolf, foretelling his age and experience in the wolf realms.

Wayne suddenly made a sharp turn, slipping on ice and fell to his side. He didn’t bother to get up, instead he began to whine. He played the victim very well, a true hypochondriac.

I grimaced at him, disgusted of his lack of willpower. I growled at him, “Get up you darn fool, get up and guide me to where they are.” Going closer to him, I nudged his head to the side. He was breathing heavily, sides heaving and tongue hanging out of his mouth. He was a caramel colored wolf, but a dark brown liquid stained his fur.

 Curiously, I touched his matted fur, assuming the worst. My hands reached to his side, rubbing his underside and ribcage. Every breath he took seemed to make the stain spread farther apart. It was what I thought of it to be.  He was bleeding heavily, fur matted and fresh with blood. It rubbed onto the white crisp snow, causing a mixture of red and white snow.

“Get the fuck up you idiot! Get inside the clinic immediately!” I urged him.  Shifting into my wolf form, I breathed in the scent of the rogues. The wolves headed northwest, marking our territory with their scent. It was a signal, a trap telling my wolves to chase after them.

Something here was shady, other than the fact of the marking, everything else was pristine and not messed with. There had to be more information I could use, anywhere at all!

I looked around, trying to find more markings or paw marks in the snow. The snow was falling too hard, already making it futile and pointless.

There had to be more clues. This sounds strange, too simple of a plan to invade in our land. Definitely, they have something else up their sleeves.

Sniffing the air, I try to sort out the different scents I collected. The air was damp and windy, making it even more difficult for me to target them. There was a very faint smell in the air, vague but clear. Two wolves of mysterious origin had had already been here.

I ran to the lake, trying to assess the situation in my hands. I was already wasting time, trying to find clues. It had to be done, these wolves managed to raid many packs already and mine would be no exception.

Finally, I arrived at the lake. There was a small den hidden under the rocks, and warm water managed to trickle down. A mud puddle was found, despite the harsh cold the mud puddle appeared to be fresh.

These wolves definitely masked their scents, and made the others cause a scene, these two most likely roamed our land, understanding the terrain to their advantage. Definitely, they’re not ordinary wolves.

However, since I understood their plans, I was now able to foil them.  I locked in their scent, and was about to break into a stride until a voice broke out.