Turmoil

NATALIE POV

"So, what have you been up to Natalie?"

I jumped. I looked up, and see Ann staring. I answered, "Oh, I was just reading some books."

She continued to stare.

The silence got to me. "I was reading some books about dragons. And you know, it's really interesting, you guys have so many books but I've seen anyone pick up a book here at all!" I point to the left, where the small bookshelf resided. "I'm thinking of reading some of those fantasy novels later, do you know any good ones? I really enjoyed the one about twins traveling through space, do you know anything similar?"

"..." Ann didn't bother to answer back. She look around, trying to find a spot to sit, and decided the lumpy beanbag was perfect. She waddled her way over to me, and placed herself between me and my stack of moldy books. Then, she opened her mouth. "Natalie, I used to be your age."

"Oh of course."

"And I understand how it feels to be in heat. I too, am a werewolf." She scratched her forehead, and leaned back in the chair. "You have a special cycle, and I know how much it affects others around you. I don't know what happened between you and Scott, along with that Vukasin fellow, but I do worry about Scott."

She placed a hand on my shoulder gently, almost as if she was afraid she was going to break me. She softly spoke, words flowing out of her mouth with grace. "Scott may be a leader, but he is a very, very fragile boy."

"He is actually a young man now Ann." I leaned towards her, forcing myself to gaze into her eyes.

She shook her head. Ann protested, "He is still a child in my eyes." She sighed, "I remember when he was so small, even more helpless than now. Such a sad child."

"What do you mean?"

She didn't look in my direction, instead she laid her head down. She crossed her arms and her legs. She answered, "I'm not here to tell you Scott's life story here, but Natalie I would appreciate it if you somehow made up with Scott. It really hurts me to see him sulk that much, he's been sulking for days now and whenever I ask him what's wrong..." She tilted her head, eyes expressing grief. "All I know that it deals with you, please, apologize."

"What makes you think I did something wrong?" I stood up, despite Ann trying to make me sit down again.

"Calm down Natalie that's not what I meant."

"It's exactly what you mean, you think it's my fault." I shook my finger at her, "Look here Ann, Scott overreacted... with an issue that was not a big deal at all. Not at all. He has to stop meddling in my business."

"Everything Scott has done is for the pack's benefit. He would never interfere with someone's life if it had nothing to do with him."

"Exactly, it had nothing to do with him."

"Then why, why would he interfere? Please tell me Natalie."

"Like I said, it's not a big deal." I faced the wall, feeling Ann's eyes on my back. "Scott's acting all pissy. Geez, I wonder how he ended up that way, he was much different back then."

Ann said, "Nothing changed about him. Natalie, I know I shouldn't say this but please understand Scott. He had a very hard life."

I scoffed, "Oh yeah? I've been through worse." I raised my voice at Ann, angry that she dared to say such a thing. "You don't even know what I've been through Ann, what makes you think Scott 's been through worse? I mean come on, Scott has an awesome life. He lives in a giant fucking mansion for crying out loud. He never has to worry about money, because his parents are loaded." I rambled on, "Ann don't even say that to me, Scott definitely had a much better life than me. I mean, did he ever have his parents die right before his eyes, dying because it was your fault?"