15 | silent kindness

"All suffering originates from craving, from attachment, from desire

"All suffering originates from craving, from attachment, from desire."

Edgar Allan Poe.

          MARCEL WALKED INTO DAVINA'S ROOM about an hour later.

     His eyes immediately fell onto the IV in Davina's arm, then they were settled on Sirena, who was silently sitting next to the sleeping girl.

     Before Marcel had the chance to ask why the hell the teenager was being sedated like that, the mermaid spoke. "I tried to stop them." She pointed at the two vampires outside the door. "But they were under 'strict orders', would've broken my neck if I didn't step aside. And I wouldn't have been of any help if I'm dead."

     "We can't just let them–"

     Marcel stopped his words, hearing Klaus' and Elijah's conversation as they entered the compound.

      The mermaid paid no mind to the loud discussion taking place downstairs. Her eyes were glued to the sleeping witch, her mind playing her memories of the day on the Marmoris after the oracle spoke to her, before she lost her best friend.

"Sirena! Don't!" He shouted, running to the 16yearold girl standing on the beach, the soft waves of the ocean caressing the skin on her feet under the moonlight.

"Nereus, please. Don't make this any harder." Sirena pleaded, fighting back the tears that threatened to pool on her eyes at the sight of her best friend.

"Don't go! You don't have to! You could stay here with us!" The boy almost begged, holding on to her shoulders as his soft brown eyes stared into her sea blue ones.

"I have to go. The oracle has shown me what must be done."

She knew she had to leave everything behind. Her parents, her best friend, their island.

He pulled her into a tight hug, both holding on like their lives depended on it.

"Promise you'll be okay, even if you don't come back, even if I never see you again." He whispered, allowing his tears to run freely down his cheeks.

"I promise." She said, without fully believing it.

     The sun was beginning to set when Marcel came back, he was pacing back and forth in front of Davina's bed. Sirena payed him no mind as she used a soft cloth to wipe the sweat from the young girl's face.