EIGHTEEN - Change of Plans

"The blood on my teeth begins to taste like a poem, like religion, like the way you look at me

"The blood on my teeth begins to taste like a poem, like religion, like the way you look at me."

- Sean Glatch

There was a furious knocking on Sirena's door on her room in the compound.

The mermaid had decided to stay the night there per Hayley's request, the pregnant lady claimed that she wanted to talk until early hours of the morning —which they did— and then ended up sleeping all day.

The knocking continued, making the mermaid huff in annoyance and take off her earphones, throwing them on the bed before answering the door.

"What?" She demanded through gritted teeth.

Diego almost fought the urge to take a step back when looking at the murderous glare the shorter woman was sending his way.

"We got a situation." The vampire informed, pointing with his thumb over his shoulder to the patio on the first floor.

Sirena walked past him and held on to the railings, her mouth going dry at the sight of a dead man in a white suit laying in the centre of a salt circle like the one they had found Rebekah in the previous day.

"Holy shit." She mumbled, eyeing how the dead man's neck had been slashed open. Turning on her heels, she raised an eyebrow in the vampire's direction. "Why are you looking for me, though?"

"Klaus is out with Marcel, we don't know where Elijah is, and Hayley's not to be disturbed like ever. Which means you are the next in line to take charge."

Sirena chuckled bitterly. "Is this a bloody joke?" At the serious face she got as an answer, she clenched her teeth in frustration. "Oh, for fuck's sake. Let's get this over with."

Diego trailed behind her downstairs, the circle of vampires around the dead body opened up to let her through. The action made her even more uncomfortable, they were looking at her as if she was some sort of authority to them, as if she was a Mikaelson. Which she clearly wasn't.

"When was he left here?" She asked to no one in particular.

"We don't know." Diego seemed to be the only one willing to answer her.

"What do you mean 'you don't know'? This compound is supposed to be the safest place for Hayley and baby Mikaelson, and you're telling me that no one was on guarding duty when the witches decided to leave a dead body right here?" No one dared to look at her in the eye, internally impressed at how threatening she looked without having to throw a fit or raise her voice. "They even took the bloody time to draw this shit in salt, and no one saw anything?"

"We do know that he is Papa Tunde." Diego stepped up again, clearing his throat and straightening his spine. "He matches the description Klaus and Marcel gave."