TWENTY - One Condition

"So I wait for you like a lonely house until you will see me again and live in me

"So I wait for you like a lonely house until you will see me again and live in me. Until then, my windows ache."

- Pablo Neruda

"WE NEED TO FIND THEM NOW!" Shouted Marcel in the study, where Hayley and Elijah had been called by Sirena and Marcel.

"WELL, HOW DO YOU PROPOSE WE DO THAT?" Sirena shouted back, already tired of hearing Marcel's loud and obnoxious voice for so long.

Silence filled the room once more, even though they all knew it wouldn't last long.

"I've put all my night-walkers out there searching, but the sun will be up shortly and they must go into The Pit before it's too late."

"We have to check on the witches." Hayley intervened after Marcel. "They are the ones behind this, so one of them must know."

"Elijah?" Sirena questioned after noticing that the Original was unusually quiet.

"I will go to look for one of the witches that came back, Monique Deveraux. Also, one of the last people who saw Klaus before he was taken by Bastiana." Elijah explained his plan with his eyes lost in the window by his side.

"We need a fast solution! Who knows what's happening to them?!" Sirena resisted the urge to stomp her foot on the ground out of frustration. "They could be suffering with Papa Tunde's blade, which —may I remind you— can cause unimaginable pain to even an Original."

"Yes, Sirena." Elijah retorted through gritted teeth. "We are aware of the fact."

The mermaid's eyes shifted to their full onyx color at the vampire's patronising tone, slightly spooking Marcel and Hayley.

"If you will sit here, doing nothing, and wait for others to come back with news for you, then I will find solutions on my own."

"Sirena, wait!" Hayley tried to stop her friend from leaving, but Elijah's hand on her forearm stopped her.

"Let the stranger go. We will figure this as a family." He spoke softly while looking into the she-wolf's eyes.

"She's not a stranger." Hayley jerked her arm away from his touch. "She's my friend. And, unfortunately, she cares about Klaus."

But, when the werewolf left the room, she only found that the mermaid was gone from the compound.

Sirena's clothes were soaking wet as she stood on the Marmoris, her homeland, a place she hadn't visited in three years.

But there was no time for dark memories, no time for pain or hurt. She needed to find Klaus and Rebekah, that was the only reason she had broken her vow to never return.