01 | to be king

"When you're born in a burning house, you think the whole world is on fire

"When you're born in a burning house, you think the whole world is on fire. But it's not."

—Aloha from Hell,
by Richard Kadrey

          A FEW FLIRTY LOOKS AND smiles were enough to get Sirena a ticked to walk into the Abattoir with a group of naïve humans who were looking for a bit of recklessness at Marcel's party.

     The big 'M' stamped everywhere made her roll her eyes, already concluding that he was nothing short of arrogant. It was to be expected, though. One of the harsh truths she knew were written in stone was that men in power, left unchecked, were corrupted to become tyrants. She assumed Marcel Gerard was no exception to the rule.

     The lights were flashing as the music played on full volume, reverberating within the bodies of those trying to enjoy themselves and forget their problems, blissfully unaware of the dangers dancing right next them, hungrily waiting for the moment the clock stroke midnight.

     Trying to find cover, the mermaid managed to climb to the roof. Not an easy task that had her clenching her teeth constantly to stay silent and not get any unwanted attention towards herself.

     With the few seconds she had left, Sirena pulled a small bracelet from her back pocket, her lips pursed in disapproval before putting it around her wrist and admiring the bright single pearl it held, the last one she had left.

     The chimes of midnight made her wince.

     Automatically, her index and middle finger began to rub the pearl in circular motions, her eyes closing at the uncomfortable feeling on her skin, making her hairs stand on end.
     It was the only safe way she could confirm what the rumours said, Niklaus Mikaelson was back in town, seeing it with her own two eyes. The pearl would make her invisible to anyone who didn't have merpeople blood, it was perfect to allow her plan to work.

     Sirena chose to look away when the real feast began, trying her best not to gag at the sound of muffled screams from the poor victims at the hands of vampires.
      At least they wouldn't die, she thought, that brought her some comfort. And Marcel's men weren't messy, letting the humans walk away just as they got in, after wiping their memories of the traumatic might.

     Boredom quickly overcame her as she dangled her feet from the side of the roof, looking down at the vampires who partied on like they owned the city.

     That was until Klaus Mikaelson showed up.

     The man made his grand-entrance, walking directly to Marcel while the rest of supernaturals parted like the red sea, immediately feeling uneasy by his commanding  presence.

     He was tall, but not extremely so, his eyes looked dark and dangerous under the party lights. Sirena cursed herself for thinking him even more handsome than the memory she had from the prophecy.
     She was here on a mission, her unwanted attraction had to go away as soon as possible.

     She couldn't listen to what they were saying, a downside of not having an enhanced hearing like the werewolves or vampires, but she could see their expressions clearly.

     Marcel's mood quickly changed from welcoming to hostile, prepared for a fight as Klaus spoke through gritted teeth.

     "... Prince of the city!" The hybrid raised his voice mockingly, enough for Sirena to actually listen to his words. "I'd like to know how."

     "Why? Jealous?" As Marcel questioned teasingly, his men slowly began to get closer, circling them, ready to jump at the minimum sight of aggression from their 'guest'. "Hey, man, I get it."

     Even if the leader of the Quarter had a smile on his face, showing his pearly whites, it made the mermaid tighten her grip on the edge of the rooftop. He was dangerous, underestimating him would be a terrible mistake, the wrong decisions would turn him into a beast unlike anything the world had seen before.

     However, his ego seemed to have gotten the best of him, in a really stupid way, according to Sirena.

     The need Marcel had to prove himself to be better than Klaus made him spill the way he controlled the Quarter, how far his power went. He listed how he had gotten rid of the wolves from the city, and now kept the witches under control, the vampires living a live of luxury over any other faction.

     "My home, my family, my rules." His words seemed to have touched a nerve on Klaus.

     His fists clenched and his jaw ticked, gaze turning murderous while he stared down at the dark–skinned man.

     "And if someone breaks those rules?" The hybrid's voice was scarily calmed, auguring bad news.

     "They die." Marcel was seething, speaking through his teeth. "Mercy is for the weak, you taught me that, too! And I'm not the 'prince' of the Quarter, friend." The biggest threat came from how he spit the last word, with poison dripping from his tongue while holding a challenging stare with Klaus. "I'm the King! Show me some respect."

     It would have been so easy for Klaus to kill Marcel there and then, it was clear in his eyes that his wounded ego agreed with the idea.
     Yet, he chose a different pawn to play.

     Using his vampire speed, Klaus pinned one of Marcel's men against the wall and bit him mercilessly on the neck; then, letting his weak body fall to the ground with a thud, blood dripping from the wound on his neck, satisfying the hybrid.

     "Your friend will be dead by the weekend, which means I've broken one of your rules. And yet, I cannot be killed."

     The blood at the corners of his mouth made his wicked grin even more terrifying, more manic, and unbelievably more dangerous.
"I am immortal. Who has the power now, friend?"

     The way he was gloating over the helpless position he had left Marcel was no better than the cockiness the other one had shown before.
     They were both complete idiots, the mermaid concluded. Perhaps it was a typical male trait— no, she had known women who were just as bad, she took that back.

     Both were too consumed with their desire for power, willing to give everything up in order to be king; which made them extremely dangerous, and her task even more difficult.

     Because now Sirena knew that they weren't simple visions, too far away in distance and time to affect her. They were real, flesh and bone, acting before her eyes. Real people whose future rested in her hands.

     It was finally time to get involved, no matter how ugly things would get or how terrified she was to carry out a task that would decide the fate of the world.

Dear reader,

I hope you like this edited first chapter, you'll help me greatly by leaving a comment and voting. I promise to try to edit the rest as soon as possible, and thank you for all your support and patience.

Love,

Elle.