TWENTY NINE - The Dead Stay With Us

"All my grief says the same thing

"All my grief says the same thing. This isn't how it's supposed to be. This isn't how it's supposed to be. And the world laughs, holds my hope by the throat, and says: but this is how it is."

—Fortesa Latifi

She was dreaming of him again. Sirena was sure of it before the landscape could finish coming to life around her.

The Marmoris looked particularly beautiful at sunrise, it had always been Nereus favourite time of the day, right before they had to leave their training and studies to go home for the night.

He was sitting beside her in the warm sand, their shoulders brushing from time to time but his skin blessed her with no warmth.

"How have you been, Ina?" The raspiness from his voice was still engraved in her mind, enough to bring her comfort in bittersweet occasions such as this one.

"Missing you, as always." She shrugged, her eyes glued to his profile as his brown eyes stared at the sea.

He half smiled. "Of course, you'll never find anyone half as awesome as I am."

Sirena chuckled and laid her head on his shoulder, a lonely tear escaping her eye. "I lost Eve." She whispered, feeling his arm being wrapped around her shoulders to pull her closer. "And I feel so guilty because it makes me miss you more."

He sighed deeply, rubbing his fingertips against the bare skin of her arm. "You need to keep living your life without me. I am dead and there's no turning back from that."

She should have been used to that thought, but a broken sob still erupted from the back of her throat that made him help her hide her face in the crook of his neck.

"Oh, Sirena." He shook his head to himself. "It's been 3 years, you can't keep running away from getting closure."

"It's the only thing keeping you with me." The pain in her voice contrasted drastically with the calmness in her face.

"I always knew I was the smartest out of the two of us, but I thought you would at least try to challenge me." She snorted at his remark, her heart breaking at the amusement shinning in his eyes. "I will always be with you, Sirena. But you need to heal, stop keeping the wound with my name open wide."

It was then she realised she could no longer hear the lulling sound of the waves nor feel the sunlight on her skin. Her dream was coming to an end and she wished she could stay there forever.

Sirena refused to look away from Nereus' face, wanting to make sure she had it memorised as clearly as the last day she had seen him.

"I don't want to leave you." She whispered as his thumbs gently brushed away the river of tears staining her cheeks.