Chapter 8

Nothing much happened the days we traveled, so I'll just skip to when we got to the giant patch of dirt and ruble. Weeds and grass had popped up in random spots, trying to spread and grow.
"Here we are," River stood in the middle of the patch. "Not much but, like I said, they're underground."
"So how do we reach them?"
"We don't." River faced me, her red hair stuck to her face from dirt and sweat.
"What do you mean?"
She dropped her bag next her her feet and dug out a gun.
"They reach us."
She aimed into the air and the bullets screamed into the air. I covered my ears and she shot three more times. She didn't even flinch.
"What now?" I ask, a slight ringing in my ears.
"We wait." she sat down and pulled out two sandwiches.
"Want one?"
I nodded and she handed me one. We ate in silence, which was fine with me. My mind was swimming in thoughts. How would they get us? We were in the middle of no where and no one was around. River had reminded of someone, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I looked at her, her hair was now in a ponytail, her freckles moved with every movement her jaw made. She wasn't beautiful, but she wasn't ugly. She looked normal, but her personally sure as hell wasn't. She always knew what she was doing, one step ahead. Who else was like that? Was it someone I loved? Or was it just an old friend of mine? Then it occurred to me, what is its both?
Katniss.
A lump grew in my throat. Forget about Katniss, I told myself, she's gone and there's nothing you can do.
"Hey," I look up.
"You okay?"
I nod.
A familiar roar echoed through the sky. A hovercraft.
"Looks like our ride is here," she got up and gave me her hand. "Come on, it's fine. Trust me." I took her freckled hand.
"I do trust you."
And I did.