Chapter 24

All I could hear was a ringing noise. I opened my eyes. There was dust and dirt in the air surrounding us. The walls had fallen so it had made a triangle. I look down into my arms. The small girl had her eyes closed, her dirty skinny fingers balled into a fist on my padding. She wasn't moving. I shook her.
"Hey, hey are you ok?"
No response. I sat her up, as I did so her head tilted back. I put my ear against her chest. There was nothing but the ringing. That damn ringing. I couldn't tell if she was dead. I was frustrated with myself. How could I be so fucking stupid as to wander by myself? I have to start thinking about my safety and the safety of others around me. I can't morn Katniss forever. I start screaming for help, and I pray to God that Haymitch or someone else will come.

• • •

After and hour no one has come, and the girl hasn't moved. But the ringing in my ears had died down. I lifted the girl back up, and checked her heart beat. Nothing. Again I couldn't tell if she was dead, but checking on her kept me calm. It gave me hope. I closed my eyes and let myself drift into sleep.

I'm not sure how long I was asleep but the ringing has finally stopped, and I can hear voices. I call out, screaming that I'm right here, that I need help. I don't know if they're coming until a piece of rubble is removed and sunlight poor's in. I hand the small girl to a solider and another gives me her hand. She pulls me out and someone runs up and hugs me. I look down to see firey red hair.
River.
I pull her close and hug her tightly.
"I knew I shouldn't have left you go by yourself, you dumbass." she mumbles against my padding. I laugh and she pulls away. But the look on her face isn't what I was expecting. She looked disappointed. Worried. Like she had to do something she didn't want to.
"What's wrong?" I put my hand on her shoulder. She shakes her head. "Nothing...we have to get back to the hovercraft. There's someone you need to see..."
I slip my hand into hers and we walk out of the rubble, and back to town square.