Chapter 21

"Peeta," River said. "Peeta, are you okay?"
I was lying on my back, staring at the ceiling.
"I don't know." River had her hair held back. She was sitting at the table playing with a string in her hand.
"I'm really sorry."
I sit up and look at her. "Why? It's not like it's your fault." She looks down. "Well, I know that.... but you've been through a lot. I don't want you to get anymore damaged than you already are." I shake my head.
"I'm always going to get damaged, River. That's what Snow does, if he can't kill us then he'll make our lives hell."
She doesn't respond.
"I'm going to walk around."
Still silence.
I get up and walk out of the room, the door sliding behind me.

• • •

I walk around. All I can do is think. Think about how I'm not the person for this job. I'm not the Mockingjay, and I never was. Even though it's not my official role, I know Katniss would do a much better job than I ever could.
I walk upward. Not stopping until I reach the very top, the top where I saw the girl on the building. Whatever small amount of sunlight out of the window hits my face. I forgot how warm the sun is. I walk over to the medical wing, but before I can reach it someone's hand grabs my shoulder. They spin me around.
Haymitch.
"Peeta, you okay?" He asks. His beard has grown longer. I'm still not use to him being so sober. I nod.
"Good, because you're going into one of the districts today. Seven. It's been getting some bombings."

"Why do you want me to go, again?"

"To tell the people the truth about Snow. Since Katniss is dead, you have to take care of it. You started this with Katniss, even if you don't know it." He slapped his hand on my back. He grins, "Come on, sweetheart. We have work to do."