Chapter 25

Cornelius was tired of Madge. Obviously it had no effect on Mr. Mellark, why the boy hadn't even noticed that his father was dead. If so, it also had no effect on him. So everyone told Cornelius Snow, but he thought differently. Killing everyone Mr. Mellark had ever had contact with had better damage far beyond physical wounds. He sat, staring at the girl. She had bloody scars where she had clawed at her own face. Tufts of her own hair was missing, blood under her fingernails, she had even tried to pull her own tongue out. She had done all this to make the pain stop, but in the end she completely and utterly failed. She was lying on the floor, staring at the ceiling.
"Why," her voice was rough when she spoke. Most likely from screaming. "Why did you have to kill my baby?" Cornelius stood up, he walked to her. As he knelt down he pulled out a white rose. "My dear," he helped her sit up. "The child would have died anyhow. That's how the cycle of life works. She might have lived if your husband had listened to me. But I'm sure you know what I would have done to her anyways." He pinned the rose to the collar of her dress. He looked up at the frightened girl's face and smiled."Don't you worry anymore, Mrs. Mellark. The worst is done." Cornelius stood up and right before he closed the door behind him, a gun shot off.
In the distance a cannon shot off, signaling her death.