Chapter 20

River hid in the trees, she did this everyday for almost three years. She would just sit and listen to the birds sing their songs and let the sun warm her cheeks.
She tried to act like nothing was wrong, like the world was as peaceful before humans had ever existed. She knew, however, that wasn't true. That humans do exist, and in her opinion they destroyed everything they hold dear. She herself had destroyed her only family left.
She should have never let Kya out of her sight. The blame wasn't all on her though. No. She blamed Snow more than anything, for creating a world like this. The world that killed her family.
The world that killed children for entertainment, to punish the districts.
The world that had even killed Peeta.
Though Peeta was alive, the boy with bread no longer existed.
He was merely just a figure who was fading way before River had even met him.
Now he is just a boy.
A boy who she was in love with.

• • •

I walked out of the room.
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, after all I did leave them to suffer my consequence.
My child is dead.
Madge had given birth to a baby girl, a baby girl who will never have a name and will never be able to grow into the world. A proper world, not this world.
I'm not as upset as I should be. I try to make at least one tear fall, I fail. The worst part is that Madge has to suffer through all of it.
And it's all my fault.