Winning the Battle Losing the War

(A/N This whole chapter is memories)

Meeting Zola

Derek walked Meredith over to a white crib that had a name Zola attached. The baby girl had a bandage that wrapped around her head. She wore a white onesie that had pink polka dots worn on it.

"We've been trying to start a family.." Derek trailed off before giving Meredith a monologue. She sat there with an excited look on her face. Derek grabbed Zola and handed her to Meredith. She started pulling on Meredith's hair right away. Zola started giggling and moved onto her necklace.

"Do we even know how adoption works?" Meredith asked.

"Well no but we will figure it.." Derek reassured her.

"I will ask Shannon" He spoke as he left the room. She was enchanted by her. Meredith traced over her small fragile hands and admired her.

Courthouse

Derek and Meredith sat in the car on the way to officialize their marriage in the state of law. Meredith went to grab her makeup bag from the back seat that seemed to be filled with toys they'd soon give to their daughter.

"This is so weird." She blurted out as she grabbed the makeup.

"What do you mean?" Derek asked.

"You were just a stranger in a bar four years ago and now we are adopting a child. I don't know I guess what I'm saying is i'm happy." She smiled as she applied mascara to her eyelashes.

Derek's hand reached for the radio. When he went to put his hand back on the wheel, she grabbed his and took the hand in her own. He parked their car and opened her door. She grabbed his hand as he she got off the seat. They walked into the court house hand and hand ready to start the rest of their lives.

Nursery

Derek entered the room to find Meredith setting up the nursery.

"How the hell do you put together a crib?" questioned Meredith.

"You shouldn't even be doing this Mer." He said sounding concerned.

"I have been stuck at this house for two weeks, the least I can do is put up a crib. So are you going to help me or not?"

"I guess I don't have a choice." He giggled as he sat down beside her. She was certainly stubborn.

They also hung up frames that had zoo animals in it such as, an elephant, giraffe, and zebras. The walls were painted yellow. A corner of the room was Meredith's favorite it had rocking chair with a drawer of books on the side. Meredith swore not to get attached but if she was being honest she was. She had been picking out the little perfect details for the baby's room.  Zola wanted to have matching stuffed animals with the baby. So Derek bought them matching elephants.

Losing time

tw: emetphobia

Derek had been gone for weeks after promising to come home. Meredith was worried but eventually hired a private investigator just to find out he was working in D.C.  No phone call and no nothing. Merideth had texted him countless times throughout these weeks without a reply.  She had been throwing up for the past week. Not to mention the crying from her husband leaving her and her kids with no warning. He left her feeling helpless and wondering what had happened to them. Lying to Zola and Bailey saying he had to leave for a business trip .  After she finally kissed the kids goodnight she ran to the bathroom to puke.