Living in a State of Dreaming

Derek woke up to an empty bed. Meredith was no where to be seen. That was until he heard vomiting from the other room. She wouldn't stop coughing. He found her on the floor of the bathroom. Her fingertips touching the rim of her mouth. Crimson. Blood? Her hand was staring back at her. Before she could get a clear view she began to throw up again.

He ran over to her holding the hair out of her face and rubbing her back to comfort her. "Is that blood?" He spoke to himself. He left her side only for a minute until he had found his phone and dialed 9-1-1. Once she was finished, the world around her felt like it was spinning. She stood up and regained balance. "Derek I'm fine." She tried to walk before falling to her knees. Her palms touching the floor of their room leaving the rest of her body in the bathroom. Derek grabbed Meredith and placed her head onto his chest. She breathed weakly. Her face was colorless and eyes were glossy. She couldn't catch a break could she?

Thoughts raced his mind. Was she striking a re-bleed? Did it have anything to do with the attack? All he could do was wait, which seemed to be the hardest part. Her breathing started to slow down. The loss of blood made her woozy. Everything was a blur from the second she threw up to the second she arrived at the hospital.

Zola and Bailey were holding hands following Derek who pushed the stroller. Meredith was getting pulled into a emergency surgery. Amelia explained what had happened to Derek and explained that she was having a Intracerebral Hemorrhage. Meaning that her chances of survival were slim. He couldn't break down, his kids were by him. Meredith would've known how to deal with this. She always did. As if she was a superhero she had always found a way to keep them happy. He missed her smile or how her nose scrunched when she laughed.

Derek walked over to Zola and Bailey who were playing with Mega Blok's at daycare. "What are you two building?" Bailey smiled. "A rocket ship!"  Zola gave him a angry look on her face. "You said we were building a pirate ship.." He grabbed the two by his hands and sat them down on his lap. "You know how Mommy is sick?" He spoke for lack of better word. Zola gave a worried look. "She's hurt right now.." Zola interrupted. "Will she be okay?" He thought for a few seconds. "I'm not sure." Her lip started to quiver. He held onto her for two for hours until she fell asleep.

A day went by and Meredith hadn't woken up. Derek decided to stay by her side without leaving. Amelia decided to sit down by him. "I know you're mad at me, but you need people by your side. Derek i'm your sister, please let me be here for you."  He contemplated for a few seconds before placing his hand on her as a sign he trusted her. "I took Ellis to daycare, she's a very cute kid." She said trying to get a conversation going.  Derek frowned. "She looks like her, and Meredith barley knows her. She might not ever get to and I can't take it."

A few weeks had passed and she stayed in her coma. Sometimes her fingers would move which gave everyone a small bit of hope. Derek would bring the kids to visit her everyday. Which he regretted not doing before. If this had happened he would do it all differently. That one comment would be the last thing she had heard from him besides him apologizing.  He brushed her hair everyday. Seeing her like this made his heart drop. He'd do little things like update her everyday. Little things Ellis or the kids did.

A month later she still had no improvement. Her little movements stopped. Derek sat in a chair next to her bed. His hope started to fade until all of a sudden he felt a tiny arm push him. "Derek, Derek." The person whispered loudly.

Suddenly he jolted awake to see Meredith laying next to him on their bed. "Ellis is crying, can you go grab her." He gave her a confused look.

 "Alright fine, I'll grab her." She said rubbing her eyes.

 "You're okay?" He whispered. "I mean what you said was hurtful but I'll live." He turned to scan the room. "We weren't at the hospital?" She laughed hollowly and smacked him with a pillow "No?"