Chapter 63: Fake Tears

On the morning of the year two thousand and twenty one, Astrid Moriarty and her daughter went on a trip to the Suburbs. She found out through Mycroft Holmes where John Watson lived. She had said that it was best for Grace to have a young friend who had a life that was similar to hers. Mycroft's kinder side, that she discovered was reserved only for his brother, came out and he gladly gave over the address.

It was a nice little village that Astrid and Grace drove to. She stopped outside the door of the address Mycroft had given her, then looked at her daughter in the back seat.

"Remember, don't mention anything about daddy. I'm going to say that your father was called Dominic Slait and he died in a car crash before you were born. That's what I told Mycroft. Just play with Rosie and look cute and innocent." She smiled, "think you can do that?"

Grace nodded excitedly as Astrid got out of the car, immediately putting on her vulnerable disguise, before opening the back door and getting Grace out of her car seat. She took her hand in hers and the pair walked over to the house. She knocked on the door and prepared herself for the reaction she was bound to receive from the good doctor.

John Watson opened the door and upon seeing Astrid, rolled his eyes. Before he could shut the door on her face he noticed the child who was looking around absentmindedly at her side.

"What's wrong?"

Astrid smiled, "nothing's wrong?"

John looked down at Astrid and smiled warmly, "who's this?"

"My name's Grace," the child smiled and waved. John smiled back and looked at Astrid.

"Is she..?"

"Is she what," Astrid tilted her head, "my daughter?"

"Yes."

"Yes she's my daughter," Astrid looked down at Grace and squeezed her hand.

"What can I do for you?"

"I know you have a daughter, Dr Watson. I know she's a similar age to Grace," she smiled, "in fact, we have a lot in common."

"We do?" John leant on the frame of his door.

"We both lost our partners when our children were young, in my case, before my daughter was born. Our children both grew up without one of their parents. We were both way out of our depth in our professions and I think it would be best if our kids didn't have to live alone with that."

"What are you suggesting?"

"That they should be friends," she shrugged, "and I am sorry. Everything that I did to you... and Sherlock. He made me do it all. He made me love him, he made me do the things. He turned me into his assassin," she sighed, "and, I know it's been nearly ten years and I know I should have spoken to you sooner, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Even after what he did."

"What did he do?"

Astrid blinked back fake tears, "it doesn't matter now," she smiled, "can she at least meet Rosie? See if they get on?"

John smiled and nodded sympathetically.

"Come in."

He opened the door wider and let the two in. He lead them into the front room before leaving into the corridor to call up the stairs for his daughter. A few moments later John re-entered the room with hi daughter behind him, peaking round his leg shyly. She looked at Grace who smiled back.

John held her hand and encouraged her forward.

"This is Astrid, and her daughter," he smiled and crouched down to Rosie's height, "and that's Grace, she wants to be your friend."

Astrid urged Grace forward nodding slightly, and Rosie stepped in front of John and started to smile at Grace. John looked at his daughter, happy to see her making friends. He spoke into her ear.

"Why don't you show Grace some of your Christmas presents? Maybe she can help with your jigsaw puzzle?"

Rosie nodded and Grace looked up at Astrid as if asking permission. Astrid smiled and nodded, before Grace and Rosie ran out the room and up the stairs. John stood up and smiled again.

"Would you like a drink?"

Astrid chuckled, "please."

"Follow me."