Chapter 64: Hedgehog

Astrid followed the doctor into the kitchen. He put the kettle on as Astrid sat down in one of the seats by the counter. As they waited for the kettle to boil, John leant forward on the counter, frowning.

"So, what makes you come here now then?"

"It's a special occasion."

"Why not Christmas, then?"

"Because we spent Christmas with an old friend of mine."

"Were they an old friend of Moriarty too?"

Astrid nodded, "we've both given up on him. Seb's been a help for me the beginning. He's helped me with Grace, you know, since Dom died."

John smiled, "who was Dom?"

"He was normal," she said and John chuckled, "he was sweet and humble. It took me years to get over his death."

"I know what you mean."

Astrid smiled, "you see? We've got a lot in common," John nodded and the kettle clicked. He went to pour two mugs of tea, "what are your plans for new year?"

"Everyone's coming over for drinks and new year."

"When you say everyone..."

"Molly Hooper, Greg Lestrade, Mrs Hudson and-"

"the virgin."

John looked immensely surprised.

"Sorry," Astrid chuckled, "Jim used to call him that. He called Sherlock the virgin and Mycroft the iceman."

John frowned, "what did he call me?"

"He didn't really have a name for you," Astrid lied, avoiding the names that branched from Johnny Boy to the Good Doctor. Astrid the chuckled and thanked the doctor as he laced a cup of tea in front of her. She sipped the liquid and raised her eyebrows.

"You remember how I like it."

"Yeah well, it's just the same as how I like it so..."

Astrid nodded, "so when is everyone getting here."

"Molly and Greg should be here in the next hour. Mrs Hudson should be arriving with Sherlock in about ten minutes."

The woman chuckled, "I timed it right then."

Before they could continue there was a loud shriek of laughter from upstairs, followed by a loud bang. Astrid and John's eyes both widened in fear. They left their drinks on the counter and ran up the stairs to Rosie's bedroom. To there surprise, the two girls were on the floor, holding their stomachs, laughing out loud. John frowned as Astrid let out a sigh of relief.

"Oh good, I thought they were killing each other."

John chuckled and looked at the children on the floor, "What's so funny?"

The two girls continued to laugh as they stood up. John gave his daughter a look, and she let out another snort of laughter before answering in her young high pitched voice.

"Sh-she called you a hedgehog!"

Astrid looked down at Grace who had pressed her lips together to stop laughing. Astrid just shook her head and began to kneed her forehead. John looked at her.

"You said he didn't have names for me, did she pick this up from you?"

Astrid laughed, "first I've heard of it," she then leant down to her daughter's height, "what have you been doing? I heard a big noise."

"I dropped the Lego box."

Astrid turned her attention to the large pile of kids Lego that was pouring out of a huge red box at Grace's feet.