Chapter 5: All Part Of The Plan

The journey into the centre of London with Sebastian was one of a very large mixture of emotions. One minute Astrid would be laughing and joking about with the bulky bodyguard, the next she would be groaning and swearing at how little she was told about all Jim's plans. When they finally got to their destination, Astrid raced into the large building to be pulled back by Seb.

"No, we're not going in there." He took her hand and took her across the road.

"Wait, Seb." Astrid frowned, "but Jim's in there!"

"We can't go in, it's not part of the plan."

"Well, the what the hell are we doing here?"

"We are observing, come one."

They went into the building across the street from the Ambulance bay and began to climb a large thin stone staircase. They reached a window which had an almost perfect view of the roof of St. Bart's, Astrid stopped as she saw Jim across the road sat on the edge of the roof facing away. She leant forward to shout his name but was stopped by Seb who gave her a stern look, before continuing to walk upstairs.

"But I can see perfectly from here," Astrid complained, but Sebastian carried on, "where are you going?"

"To the roof." He said dramatically and Astrid followed him up the staircase. They reached the top just in time to look across the street and see Sherlock coming out of a door on the top of the roof. They watched Jim dramatically hold his phone up as he began their conversation. Astrid sat down at the edge of the roof, her eyes focused on the scene, as Seb sat down next to her.

"So, I assume you'll want to know what's going on."

"That would be nice."

"so, there's this key code, but, it's not exactly a code, just a few didgets of binary code. Sherlock was led to believe that it could mean that Jim could break into any system."

"Yeah, bit it's just a hoax, that's what Jim says." Astrid nodded, still looking ahead.

"Yup," Seb replied, "there is no code, that's the hole point."

"Hang on, so, how did he break into those places?" Astrid frowned, this time actually looking at Seb

"He had some 'willing participants', " Seb chuckled as Astrid looked back to the scene on the rooftop. Jim had stood up and was now slowly walking around the tall detective like he was his predator. After a few seconds he stopped and stood a couple of feet away from the consulting detective.

"I wish he'd put mic's on, then we'd know what he's saying." Astrid saw him turn around wiping his eyes and then suddenly jump up to Sherlock. He stood back shaking his head with his arms out wide, "I recon I'm missing out on some very interesting comments."

"He would have noticed."

"I guess." Astrid tilted her head as Jim began to walk around like a child, "what the hell is he doing?"

"Making a scene, like always." Seb replied as the two watched Sherlock slowly towards the edge and looked down into the road.

"Is he going to jump?"

"That's the plan." Seb said hopefully, however, all sarcasm was washed away when Sherlock could be seen taking Jim buy the collar of his very expensive looking jacket and leans his body over the edge. Astrid jumped forward in surprise.

"Jim!" she shouted before Seb pulled her back by wrapping his hand round her mouth to shut her up, "Seb!?"

"Shush, he might hear."

"Ugh," Astrid groaned as she fell backwards and struggled out of Seb's grip. After they had gotten back int their original positions, they looked back onto the scene. Jim was still in Sherlock's grasp, but he looked as if he had the upper hand. Sherlock was staring him down as he blabbered on.

Sherlock pulled Jim up away from the edge and Astrid watched him straighten out his jacket and after taunting Sherlock some more, he walked away from the edge, causing both blondes to sigh in relief. They watched the detective closely as he stepped up onto the raised platform ready for one final act.

His suicide

After a few moments of anticipation, the detective left the two on the rooftop greatly disappointed. It looked as though he was laughing. Jim had obviously noticed this because his whole body had whipped around in a state of confusion. And then, they got close. Now Jim was the prey, and Sherlock the predator. The two spectators were on the edge of their seats, Astrid practically preying for Jim to sort it all out.

"Don't do anything stupid, Jim." Astrid whispered to herself as the bodyguard looked down sorrowfully at her.

There was a long pause before it happened.

It felt like nothing was moving and no-one was making any sound.

Nothing, until there was a shot.

Just like the shot that rang out through the forest all those years ago.

Bang.

Gone.

Just like that,

Dead.