Chapter 46: Showing Off

They arrived at the venue at half past eleven, fashionably late, and pulled up outside the giant house that had held many galas like the one they would be attending before. There were people stood around the entrance, dressed in suits and dresses that ranged in quality. Seb stopped the car and got out, chucking the keys to a valet before opening the door for Astrid to get out. As she got out of the motor, she winked at Seb, beginning to feel eyes draw to her. She held her head high and smiled slightly as she heard Jim starting to get out of the car.

"And what comes out of door number two?"

Jim stood up tall, buttoning up his jacket, "same door, darling." He took her hand and the two walked into the house, ignoring the rising chatter that accompanied them indoors and only rose when they were braced by the warm heat of the venue. They paused in the centre of the room. Jim slipped his hands into his pockets and jutted his chin upwards, whilst Astrid smiled and leaned into his ear, wrapping an arm around his.

"Welcome back," She whispered, lips close to his ear, "James Moriarty."

She kissed his cheek, causing the noise around them to rise, before Jim reclaimed her hand and guided them to the side of the room. Astrid smirked and leant against the wall.

"How long do you plan to show me off?"

"How about forever?"

"That's sounds wonderful," Astrid rolled her eyes, "but you and I both know that we'd get bored."

"Well, we'll stick around here for half an hour or so, find some people to talk to. Start to plan my big resurrection. Then, we'll make some sort of grand exit and go home ," he leant forwards, brushing his fingers over her folded arms, "and then I get you out of that dress much quicker then you got into it."

Astrid grinned, "sounds like a plan."

She bit her lips and nonchalantly tossed her hair behind her shoulder. Her eyes scanned the room and spotted a young man holding a tray of drinks. She smiled to herself and whispered to Jim to stay there. He watched her skip over to the man and smile brightly as she took two glasses of liquid off the tray. His eyes didn't move from her as she made her way back to their decided home base for the night and handed him one of the glasses he took it and they clinked their glasses together. He didn't sip his drink, he just watched Astrid gulped down some of the liquid, before looking at him, frowning. She noticed that he still hadn't taken his eyes off her. She just chuckled and shook her head.

"You have to stop doing this." her voice snapped him out of his haze and he finally sipped his drink, "you we're miles away then."

Jim just twitched his head to the side and placed his glass down on the small table that was next to them. Astrid copied his action and frowned. They stood, staring at each other in silence for what seemed like hours when Jim finally spoke.

"Marry me."

Astrid froze.

Her mouth fell open in shock. Her eyes widened, not really believing what he was asking her.

She managed to choke out a reaction.

"W-what?"

Jim rummaged through his pocket's and pulled out a diamond ring. He held it up and Astrid just laughed.

"Where the bloody hell did you get that?"

Jim tapped his nose then raised his eyebrows, "so is that a yes then, or?"

Astrid just nodded with a huge grin, allowing Jim to take her left hand and push the ring onto her fourth finger, she examined the metal band and frowned.

"I've seen this before."

Jim nodded, "it was your mothers." Astrid gave him a questioning look, "after I left you with Hansel the first time, Amelie gave it to me as we were leaving," he chuckled, "told me not to waste it."

Astrid smiled, "it's beautiful," she raised an eyebrow, "how much PDA are we comfortable with?"

Jim chuckled and wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her in for a small kiss. "that should do it." he kept his mouth against hers and continued to mumble against her lips, "and now the whole world knows it."

"Knows what, dear?"

"To keep their filthy hands off you."

Astrid tilted her head, "Oh? So you're going to be that kind of husband?"

"Obviously," he took her hand, "now, let's go find someone to talk to."

(A/N yup, I went there...)