Chapter 38: Flammable

"Hide."

Jim ducked down behind one of the monstrous vats of chemicals as the door swung open and Dominic stepped out with  Amelie behind him. He walked furiously towards the woman with Amelie sheepishly following in his wake. Astrid rolled her eyes.

"What?" She said sternly.

"You shouldn't be down here."

He grabbed her by the arm but she responded by taking his hand in her, and twisting it so that he was uncomfortably bent to the side.

"I told you not to touch me." She growled then pushed him so that his head was leaning over one of the boiling cauldrons, "I swear to God, I will dunk you in this thing if you try anything like that again ."

Astrid let go of him with a huff and he composed himself and lifted up his chin.

"What have you done to her?" Astrid sighed, gesturing to Amelie.

"She's been telling me that you've been spinning yarns about me." He snarled and straightened his jacket, "just because your papa's taken a liking to you, doesn't mean I'm gonna just let you go."

"Oh that's exactly what it means," Astrid said, leaning on one of the vats, "everything I told Amelie about you is true, and I'm guessing that everything she told me about you is true too." He frowned, "abandoned by mummy and daddy," she stepped closer to him, "taken on by the great Lucas Hansel, raised with all sorts of corrupt opinions pressed into his mind, you're more sad than I am."

He looked at Amelie, face full of distaste, "ah so the needy French bitch can't keep her mouth shut."

"Don't blame her," Astrid said and Dominic turned around. He walked over to her only to be stopped by Astrid pulling out the handgun from behind her back and pointing it at his head.

"I was supposed to wait for Seb, but your getting on my nerves." As if on cue the door opened and Seb walked in carrying a giant duffel bag, "ah, right on cue. Say, Dom, how flammable do ya recon this stuff is?" There was no reply, "today would be nice?"

"V-very"

"Very." She said, "well, lucky for us, huh?."

Seb walked up to Dominic and pushed him out the way as he stood next to Astrid. Jim came out of hiding and stood next to her, smirking heavily.

"Right then." She smiled as Seb put the bomb on the floor behind them, and sat down to play with a few switches, "that is a very big bomb, and about five miles from here there's a woman in a car with a detonator, ready to blow this entire building to smithereens."

"Shit."

"Yeah." She smirked, "appropriate reaction."

She smirked again and looked at Seb who had stood up. She looked at Jim who raised his eyebrows and smirked.

"Allons-y"

The three walked past Dominic and out the door, signalling for Amelie to follow them.