Chapter 68: Shit

Grace Moriarty didn't even stir in her sleep on their way home. She curled up against Astrid's form ever so slightly when she was lifted out of the car and carried into the house. Astrid unlocked the door and took her upstairs to go straight to bed, chuckling as she glanced into the living room to see Jim passed out on the sofa.

After putting Grace to sleep at the top of the house, as far away from the basement as possible, she went back into the living room to stand over Jim's sleeping frame. She tilted her head down to examine his face and the rise and fall of his chest as he slept peacefully, she then managed to lie down next to him and nestle her back comfortably into him. After a few minutes she felt him wrap his arm around her and pull her further into him. She chuckled and turned around in his arms, not wanting to fall asleep.

"So?" she raised an eyebrow as Jim brushed her hair out of her face.

"So?"

"What did you want to tell me?"

Jim let out a sigh and shook his head, "we should probably sit up, I'd hate for you to fall off the sofa when I tell you."

Astrid frowned and sat up, "is it bad?"

"No, not really. Just shocking," he answered, swinging his legs over the sofa so they were sat together, "so, Ciaran and I used to date in high school. "

Astrid shook her head mockingly, "jeez" she raised her eyebrow, "why didn't you tell me?"

"It didn't seem important."

"So you were together?"

Jim nodded, "yup."

Astrid nodded, "right," she paused, "him? Out of all the people in the world?"

Jim looked offended, "oi, you're the one who went out with that traitorous pig, Dominic."

"Hang on a minute," Astrid said, now looking more offended, "I had no idea."

"Yeah I think that was kinda the point," Jim laughed smugly as Astrid pounced on him.

"You're the worst."

Jim just frowned, "darling, you're no Miss Perfect yourself."

Astrid pouted and sat up on his hip, crossing her arms over her chest. Jim pouted back at her sarcastically.

"Are you gonna sit there and moan, or are we gonna go downstairs and see what there is to do?"

Astrid immediately started grinning and jumped off the sofa, pulling him up after her. She pecked him on the lips, quickly and smiled up at him.

"Happy new year, dear."

He smiled as Astrid turned away from him and out into the hall. He followed her towards the basement hall and down into the cellar. They got to the door of the cell and Astrid peered into the room through the peep hole and grinned at Ciaran sat in the corner on the floor, head against the wall with his eyes closed. The chair was disregarded on the floor with a snapped leg.

Astrid looked back at Jim and held out her hand. In it, Jim placed a small key, with witch Astrid used to unlock the door.

"Where's Seb?" she asked, giving Jim the key back.

"Upstairs, he's gonna try and get me a new bomb supplier in the morning."

"Yes, you're gonna need a new one," she grinned and opened the door loudly, startling Mr Walsh and waking him. Upon seeing Astrid standing in the doorframe, like a woman on a mission, he sighed and let his head fall backwards against the metal cell.

"Shit."

Astrid nodded, giving an impressed look.

"Congratu-fucking-lations." she smiled sarcastically, then gestured to the situation they were in, "honourable way to go, no? Being beat up by your ex's wife in your ex's basement with your ex standing by, enjoying every second."