four

The first thing I thought about that morning when I woke up was Adam. I was up well before the sun was. When I checked the time, I saw that it was only five thirty. There was no way that I could go back to sleep, so I just laid in the bed, looking around my new room. The first thing I checked was to see if the door was still open, which it was. I even checked to make sure the lamp was still on, which it was – I knew that, so I wasn't even sure why I checked.

I wasn't sure what to do since I was awake, so I decided to unpack my one suitcase I had with me. I wasn't even fully sure which clothes were in it right now, so this at least let me see that. Before putting anything away, I looked to see if there were any hangers in the closet, which there were a few. I set them quietly on the bed and then unzipped the suitcase. I carefully set out each item of clothing in different piles. Pajamas, pants, shorts, shirts, bras, underwear, and socks. It took me less than twenty minutes to put everything away, so that really didn't occupy my time as much as I thought it would.

It was closer to six when I heard someone stirring about towards the end of the hallway. It was either Mr. or Mrs. DeSantos. They both had to work so I knew they would both be up soon. My stomach growled as I climbed back into bed. I pulled the blanket up over my shoulders and faced away from the door. I had a feeling that whoever was awake was going to come and check on me, so I just pretended that I was asleep because I didn't want anyone to know I was awake yet. This was still weird for me.

I heard footsteps coming down the hallway and what sounded like keys jingling. I pretended to roll over and pull the blanket closer to my face as I kept my eyes shut. I didn't want to open them up quite yet because it did feel like someone was staring at me. After a while, I heard someone else get up, and just shortly after that I heard the front door close. I figured I was safe then, so I peeked one eye open to make sure no one was standing in my doorway. When I checked the clock again, I saw that it was pushing eight now. I figured that was at least a good enough time to wake up and get ready for the day. I was anxiously waiting to go and see Adam, but I had to wait for Rocky to wake up because I was too afraid to go anywhere alone right now because I didn't know where my grandmother was. I didn't know if she was in jail... if she was at home... I didn't know.

I was tempted to go wake Rocky up, but I decided to go and take a look at the house until he got up. I peeked into his room because his door was open, but he wasn't in his bed. I turned around and looked down the hall and then started to head towards the living room. I found Rocky standing in the kitchen with a cup of water in one hand and a bagel in the other. He watched me as I walked into the kitchen.

"About time you woke up." He watched me, "I thought you were going to sleep all day."

"I've been up since like five thirty." I told him, "I couldn't go back to sleep."

"Well, get dressed. Adam has already called me five times this morning wondering if you were up yet." Rocky said.

"Why didn't you come and wake me up?" I wondered.

"You need your rest right now. I thought you were sleeping." He told me.

"Right... Stay here – I'm going to get dressed." I told him.

"Want a bagel?" he offered.

"No thank you." I shook my head.

"Fine. I'm sure Adam will get you to eat something." He muttered.

"I'll be right back..." I told him.

I walked back into my room and grabbed a pair of shorts and a t-shirt to go with it. Rocky had mentioned it was June, so I knew that meant it was warmer out and I would probably need shorts. At least back in Michigan I would, so I assumed California was the same... if not hotter. I turned away from the door as I quickly changed from my pajamas and into the clothes I had picked out.