twenty five

I eventually ended up falling asleep because the last thing I remember was staring off into space and the next think I knew it, I was waking up to the sounds of voices coming from somewhere in the house. Kim had heard them too because we both sat up at the same time. I didn't recognize the voice as anyone that I knew. To my knowledge, both of Rocky's parents were at work so that meant someone was in the house that probably shouldn't be. At least that's what I thought until I finally heard Rocky's dads voice and that relieved me. I still didn't know who the other voice was, but that really wasn't none of my business.

"How did you sleep?" I asked Kim.

"I slept good." She told me, letting out a small stretch.

"Good." I muttered.

There was a light knock on the outside of my room and I could tell that someone was standing outside of the curtain. I got up and slid it open, seeing that Rocky was standing there.

"Hi." I looked at him.

"Mrs. Yates is here." Rocky told me.

"Mrs. Yates?" I asked confused.

"Your social worker." He reminded me.

"Oh right... she did say there would be random visits." I thought about it.

"Yeah, I don't think this is a random visit... You should probably go out there and talk to my dad and her." Rocky looked kind of worried.

"I don't know if I want too judging by the look on your face, Rocky." I shook my head.

"Is everything okay?" Kim asked.

"I don't know." I shrugged.

"I really think you should go talk to them." Rocky looked at me.

"Rocky, you're kind of worrying me... What are they talking about?" I asked him.

"Just go out there, okay?" he moved out of the doorway.

"I just called Adam and he's on his way over here... Hey Kim, my dad wants to know if you mind going him a little earlier today?" Rocky looked at her.

"Rocky – stop for a minute. Why did you call Adam and why does Kim need to go home early?" I looked up at Rocky.

"Just trust me... it's for the better right now. You'll understand when you go in there. They're both in the living room." Rocky watched me.

"I'm not moving until you tell me what's going on." I shook my head. "Rocky you're scaring me."

"Yeah, I should probably go... Just call me later, okay?" Kim gathered her things.

"Rocky, why won't you tell me what's going on?" I asked.

"Danielle, just go talk to them... okay?" he still wouldn't tell me what was going on and I had no clue what to think. My mind instantly went into panic mode and I felt frozen in place. I just stared at Rocky as Kim squeezed past us and left. I didn't understand what was going on at all or why Rocky freaked me out like this.

As Kim left, I heard Adam come inside. I heard him talking to Mr. DeSantos, but I couldn't tell what they were saying to each other. All I knew was that Adam walked down the hall and looked at me. I looked back and forth between him and Rocky, very confused about this moment.

"Why did Rocky call you over?" I looked at Adam.

"She won't even go out there to talk to them." Rocky told his best friend.

"Why can't you just tell me what is going on and then maybe I'd go out there and talk to them?" I was trying to keep my voice low but I kind of yelled at them.