Chapter 10: Dude in a Mask

Y/N POV:

Who does he think he IS? How can he do that to us? To our family... to mom?

Did he ever really love her at all? Or was Daphne in the background the whole time?

I kicked a can into an alleyway and heard the rats scamper away as well as an, "Ow."

"Who's there?" I asked. "Be warned, I have pepper spray. I'm not afraid to use it!"

I heard a familiar laugh from behind the dumpster where I had kicked the can.

Is that-?

"I don't doubt it. Although don't worry. I don't bite."

"Spiderman?"

He spread his arms and took a bow.

"The one and only."

I could tell he was smirking behind that skin-tight mask. He looked ridiculous.

"You look ridiculous. And what are you doing behind a dumpster anyway?"

He stuttered a little bit. "I'm uh... dumpster diving?"

"Uh-huh. Yeah, right."

I looked behind him to see a backpack on the ground.

Was he a... student?

He caught me staring and stepped up closer to me. My senses came back to me and I snapped my eyes back up at him.

"Hey, are you ok?" He asked.

Shit, I was crying.

"Yeah yeah no I'm uh... I'm fine just... dust and... the smell of a dumpster."

Seriously Y/N? You can come up with WAY better excuses than that.

"Well, anyway. I have to get to school so uh, I'll see you."

"Need a ride?"

"Oh um, no. My school's right up the street. Literally less than a block."

"Quick trip then."

Before I knew it, he had grabbed onto my waist and hoisted me back into the air... again.

He smelled like dumpster.

He set me down in front of the school. It was early so no one was there yet except a few people trying to cram in last-minute studying or finish last night's homework.

"How is it that you wear a flashy blue and red suit and yet no one has noticed you yet?"

"What can I say. I'm just good like that."

"OH MY GOD IS THAT SPIDERMAN?"

I smoked up at him. "You were saying?"

"Ha well um...I." He ran his hand over his head.

Hey, Peter does that too when he's nervous too.

"Go see your fans. I'm sure they're dying to get an autograph with you."

He looked towards his fans and then back at me, but I had already started walking up the steps to the school. I didn't want any part of that. 

I can't wait to tell Peter about this. He's going to flip!

2nd Period:

Where was Peter? School started almost three hours ago.

"Hey Ned, MJ, where's Peter?"

"Oh um I think he had a headache or something."

"Yeah," Ned chimed in. "He had a headache but I think he'll be here for fourth period."

I heard a commotion going on outside. Sounded like crazed zombie cheerleaders who had just broken a nail or something.

"What's going on."

A boy in front of me turned around. "Apparently Spiderman has been outside the school since school started. Everyone wanted pictures and stuff and they're still out there. I heard that the principal has been trying to bring them in all morning but who knows, maybe she wanted to get a picture too."

"Oh."

I looked around and realized that MJ and I were the only girls in our class.

"Is it just girls out there?" I asked the kid in front of me.

"Pretty much yeah." He replied. "They're all Spiderman crazed. I don't get it though. I mean he's just a dude in a mask. He's probably like twice their age and has kids or something."

"Yeah, or something."